Bandit's Reviews > The Devil All the Time

The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock

Jun 06, 2012

liked it
Read in June, 2012

This was a tough book to rate due to its combination of amazing writing and the cast of characters ranging from utterly dispeakable to somewhat unsavory to just beaten down by life into a human shaped mud puddle. I really don't know what to even compare this book too. Pollock manages to write these hideous humans with such unflinching brutality yet in such a matter of fact way, it's sort of like watching a car wreck and being unable to look away, spellbound by the brutality of existence. Rural country and its inhabitants in this book are horrific, small minded, corrupt, bleak, devastating and exceptionally unhygienic. Only one strong likeable main character throughout the whole book and maybe few peripheral ones. Enough intentional and unintentional violence and torture for even a seasoned horror fan. So yeah, tough book to rate, 3.5 stars I'd say. Definitely a very talented writer.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil All the Time.

07/02 marked as: read

Eileen I also gave this book 3 stars. My feelings were all over the place with this book so I didn't write a review. What I couldn't put into words you did perfectly. Great review.

Bandit Thank you very much, I'm always glad my reviews get read and particularly when I'm told they are spot on :)

Vitka i actually looked away--from the car wreck that is. too grim. too dark. eventually, too ugly. good review. thanks!