Cathleen's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Jun 04, 2012

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from June 04 to 10, 2012 , read count: 2

4.5 stars. A story full of wonder and impact. This is a remarkable book, and I found myself enveloped right from the start. The premise is imaginative, the developments perceptive, and the narrator heartbreakingly engaging. I can't help but wish the author had taken it a bit farther or deeper, but still I know this is one I will eagerly recommend.

Additional comment: I don't consider this to be inherently a YA book. Quite frankly, I am aggravated by the increasingly widespread belief that if a book features a teen character as narrator and/or protagonist, it belongs to YA. Please don't misread me. I'm NOT saying that teens couldn't read or enjoy this book; I have no doubt they will. However, the POV is a specific narrative choice that speaks to a broader theme. I won't win this argument (and I've had it in regards to many titles), but neither am I giving up.

re-read (audio): April 2013

audiobook note: Emily Rankin gives lovely voice to Julia's viewpoint. Her pains, her hopes, her confusion, and her joys are nearly palpable thanks to skillful narration.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Renee I totally agree with your additional comments- sometimes I come across YA book that adults love - like Okay For Now by Gary Schmidt- but are very difficult to sell to teens

Layla Johnston I am glad to hear The Age of Miracles did not disappoint! I am excited to read it, based on the rave reviews.