Rachael McDiarmid's Reviews > The Venetian Contract

The Venetian Contract by Marina Fiorato

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: favourite-books-that-feature-venice
Read on June 05, 2012

As my friends know, two of my loves are Venice and reading historical fiction. Combine the two and it can be glorious! There's something truly wonderful reading a work of fiction set in Venice - particularly if you know the city and it's history rather well. I've had my eye on Marina Fiorato for a while, reading several of her books. With this latest book (read prior to publication as an advance reading copy) I'm pleased she has continued to develop her style and storytelling abilities. This book is set in 1576 and we are introduced to two very different worlds - one Turkish and one Venetian. It is the story of Feyra who has healing skills and medical knowledge - and a personal history that will unravel throughout the book. She stows away on a ship bound for Venice - with deadly cargo. The Sultan has sent the city the gift of the plague. Over the course of the book we will spend time with Palladio, in whose house she seeks refuge, and learn the history of Redentore on Guidecca, one of the so called "plague churches" in Venice. We will see her grapple with faith and fall in love. And we will learn something about the role of women in the 1500s and the place of a learned, interesting and professional woman who has the ability to heal plus so much more. I really enjoyed this book. It was a good, easy read. The only thing that lets it down is the title. 'The Venetian Contract' is a tad uninspiring. Surely the publisher could have come up with something better? Other than that, if you liked her other books, you won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Venetian Contract.

06/04/2012 page 299