Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > Stormdancer

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff

Stormdancer captivated me since I saw its cover. It is a gorgeously delivered piece of art that catches your eye and nearly demands that you read the book. I couldn’t have picked a better cover myself. Since this can be seen as a double-edged knife I can assure you that this is not one of those typical Young Adult novels that give you a mediocre story and hope to make up by their pretty covers.

Stormdancer is one of the best books I’ve read this year and I swear, hand on my heart, that I’m not exaggerating.

One of my main reasons for liking Stormdancer so much is the amazing universe Jay Kristoff has created. It’s one of the most unique and detailed universe out there. The tattooed bodies, the masked faces, the goggled eyes. Social and environmental changes. Pollution caused by the Lotus plants. Samurais! Thunder Tigers!!

How can you not love all that? Especially since nowadays the entire Young Adult genre focuses on love triangles, teenage angst and stupidity.

Which brings us to the characters. Stormdancer is a party attended by the coolest characters you could find. Shallowness? No sir! Jay Kristoff is too good for that.

Yukiko is our beloved heroine. Even though she’s sixteen years old she behaves like a mature and responsible teen.

A mature and responsible young adult. It is not a myth people! They do exist. She is likable, strong, keeps her shit together and did not annoy me. Not even once.

And now it's time for my favorite character in the book. Arashitora. Thunder Tiger.
Her protector. Her brother. Her friend. Then I will call you Buruu.

Buruu is cruel, unpredictable, even funny at times. However, the reason why I like him so much is the love he developed for Yukiko. I have a soft spot for beasts developing strong feelings for humans. A dog is a man’s best friend. A dog that saves a human’s life is a hero in my eyes. Now imagine my feelings when it comes to a telepathic relationship between a normal girl and a Thunder Tiger.

Is it just me or do they resemble Kenpachi Zaraki and Yachiru Kusajishi from Bleach?

And yes, it does have a love triangle. A thing you should know about me is that I absolutely hate love triangles. However, in our Stormdancer’s case you get a perfectly performed love triangle and a perfect conclusion to it. Short-lived, cruel and painful. Perfect!

Another reason why I loved Stormdancer is that it reads like Anime. Many scenes in the book were full of action and reminded me of some cool Anime shows that I watch. It doesn’t give you a chance of getting bored. That’s always a plus.

So if you are in need of a great book, unique and deliciously interesting then go for Stormdancer. You won’t regret it.

ARC courtesy of St. Martin's Press via NetGalley.

Review also posted on

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stormdancer.

07/17/2012 page 19
6.0% "Deliciously good. And I'm only 19 pages in!"
07/17/2012 page 52
15.0% "Nooo leave the pup alone!!" 2 comments
07/17/2012 page 54
16.0% "Want more of the hot samurai dude. Green eyes *daydreams*"
07/17/2012 page 87
26.0% "Gah need to sleep."
07/18/2012 page 132
39.0% "QUIET NOT, MONKEY-CHILD. DREAM. Oh god the sweetness. It's making me have tears in my eyes! I'm supposed to be tough wtf is wrong with me? Must stay strong. Must not show any weaknesses!"
07/18/2012 page 201
60.0% "My laptop's outta juice and I'm too lazy to move. See why I love my Kindle? Apart from the melting eyes issues, of course."
07/19/2012 page 337
100.0% "Outstanding book. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go to my corner and try to recall everything that happened in it."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alkyoni (new) - added it

Alkyoni -o-o-o-o- (syrtaki dance)

message 2: by Alkyoni (new) - added it

Alkyoni stalking, stalking, someone is gonna issue a restriction order on me one of these days...

message 3: by Alkyoni (last edited Jul 16, 2012 12:41PM) (new) - added it

Alkyoni plus, you just saved Aly from my bday book buddy read :p

Aly is so frigging bored That's exactly what I thought Alky =)))))))))))))

message 5: by Alkyoni (new) - added it

Alkyoni -.-

Anzu The Great Destroyer Fuck it then. I'll wait till then. See how much I love you guys? :D

message 7: by Alkyoni (last edited Jul 17, 2012 02:25AM) (new) - added it

Alkyoni nah, go on, I was kidding. Jesse got it too and is on it. We'll read something else for my bday :)

Anzu The Great Destroyer No! Your bday is more important than the read. So I'll wait.

message 9: by Alkyoni (new) - added it

Alkyoni Oh c'mon, you got the ARC. Besides, Aly will hate it, we'll think of something else :)

message 10: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Can I help in choosing it? *starry eyes*

Aly is so frigging bored Aly agrees with Alky. wtf Anzu??! I did.t choose a hr for my b.day did i? And btw you didn.t even try it!

message 12: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer I don't remember which book you choose. Ah yeah a CR.

Uhm..

The dog ate my book!

message 13: by Alkyoni (new) - added it

Alkyoni Ofc you can help choosing it, I'm counting on you to help choosing it, I'm running out of ideas :')

message 14: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer I think the best choice would be a UF. All DS girls read UFs.

message 15: by Alkyoni (new) - added it

Alkyoni UF with a touch of romance would be ideal for everyone I think.

Aly is so frigging bored Yhea... Depends, Madu might kill you all :))

Anzu i don.t want to hear it. I read part of the dead dude with the kid didn.t i? You did.t :(((((((

message 17: by Alkyoni (new) - added it

Alkyoni Well yeah, but Madu reads HR only, so there's not much I can do about it. Unless she likes steampunk I guess.

But she did like the Fever, didn't she?

message 18: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Well we are trying to get a majority here..

Ok, I'll be sincere with you. I read the description and I knew I won't like it. And I was pissed because almost eveyrone skipped my bday read so I skipped this one. I'm sorry, I know it was your bday read and I should have tried it at least but my mood was bad at the moment.

Aly is so frigging bored Dee skiped yours, but me and Madu tried....

In the end, you should choose the booj you wanna read Alky. it.s so hard trying to please everyone, and usually pointless.

message 20: by Alkyoni (new) - added it

Alkyoni I know that I can't find one for everyone, but I'm trying to come up with something that at least nobody will absolutely hate. I mean, if I find a good UF with some romance in it, and it's good written, that would be perfect. Or even some romantic suspense maybe.

message 21: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer As Aly said, try to choose something YOU like and then think about the other members.

message 22: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija OMG, Anzu!!!! :O

message 23: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer :>

harlequin {Stephanie} Is it life changing?

message 25: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer I wouldn't call it life changing but it's very unique and interesting. I think you would love it, at least so far.

message 26: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer After finishing it, yes, yes it's life changing.

harlequin {Stephanie} I will hex you and steal your memories of this book.
;))) anxiously awaiting your review. Don't let too many spoilers slip.

message 28: by Alkyoni (new) - added it

Alkyoni That good?!?!?!?!

message 29: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff So glad you liked it! Much <3

message 30: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer @Steph: Hahaha I don't think stealing my memories would be enough. And don't worry I'm trying my best to keep my review mysterious and intriguing :>

@Alky: Yes Alky! Finally a book for us!! Get it ASAP. Make it your bday read, I wouldn't mind going through it again :D

@Jay: Thank you so much :D You rock!!

message 31: by Alkyoni (new) - added it

Alkyoni Zaras said to you:
Thank you, your order has been placed.

That's my boyfriend, he's getting it for my birthday :)

And now we wait.

The story of my life....

message 32: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Ooooooh :D What a great boyfriend you have :>

message 33: by Zaras (last edited Jul 21, 2012 06:20AM) (new)

Zaras Yiannis When i am out of ideas for presents i always ask Alkyoni... Even if it is for her (A)

message 34: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija That's the best way to buy presents, Zaras. No point in wasting money on something the person you're gonna give it to might not like in the first place. :D

message 35: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer @Zaras: What Dee said. At least you're sure she'll love the gift ;)

message 36: by Zaras (last edited Jul 21, 2012 12:31PM) (new)

Zaras Yiannis Glad to hear that from you girls. I always believed that you want us to pay attention to what you are saying evry moment of the day (some times even what you are mumbling in your sleep) and from that to make the final decision for the ultimate gift...And i know that Alk loves the mystery of a gift, but i guess this book is not to be left in my guessings. So, even there were spoilers (as i heard)she decided to ask it straight and i am really happy about that. (Also i know that the next moment the phone will ring and she will do the spelling of the text to me, so forgive me in advance :) )

message 37: by Zaras (new)

Zaras Yiannis And of course she called ... SO : its not spoilers, its hints, its not straight its directly and there is a missing 'to' just before the guessings :')

message 38: by Alkyoni (new) - added it

Alkyoni B+

message 39: by Zaras (new)

Zaras Yiannis I ll cook for you (again)

message 40: by Alkyoni (new) - added it

Alkyoni A+

message 41: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija You two are beyond adorable. 8D

Aly is so frigging bored Alky so mercenary =)))

message 43: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer I wish I could go out with you guys. I'm sure it would be loads of fun :))