Maxine's Reviews > I Am Not A Serial Killer

I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells

5208303
Jun 04, 12

Read in May, 2012

Fifteen-year-old John Wayne Cleaver is not like other kids. In fact, he has been diagnosed as a sociopath and he knows it's true - he lacks the empathy he recognizes in others. But despite this knowledge and a fascination with serial killers, John really doesn't want to become one. He has developed a set of rules to keep his homicidal tendencies in check. It also helps that he lives above a mortuary owned by his mother and is allowed to help with the bodies.

So when a serial killer comes to town, John feels a real connection with him and is worried that this will release his own urges to kill. He decides that the best way to prevent this is by hunting the killer himself. But what he finds is definitely far worse than what he expected and now he has to worry more about being killed than killing.

Although I Am Not A Serial Killer is YA, it is impossible not to compare it to Dexter and that is fair. But this is a terrific story in its own right. It is horror at its finest: it is, at times, creepy, at times, terrifying, and even, at times, funny, but it is, at all times, entertaining.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Not A Serial Killer.