Megg's Reviews > Cold Fire

9206768
Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in June, 2012

Argh. So mad I have yet another trilogy I have to wait until next year for the new installment. New rule: never start a series until all books are released.

I had mixed feelings about this book during the first half. It was slow, I found myself getting bored with spirit world thing, Bee started to annoy me, and that pissed me off because I really enjoyed her character in the first novel. Then Cat started bugging the hell out of me. It was like she became a different character for the first half of of the book. But she switches back and everything after midpoint was pure gold.

The story was excellent, fast-paced, with lots of betrayals and plot twists. I like the scenery change, it was refreshing to get out of Europa.

Vai's character saw some interesting devolpment, Elliot really fleshes him out a bit more in this one, which I think may have been why I was disappointed in Cat for most of the novel. Her character devolpment remained static (or opposite in some scenes) while others, including Bee when she finally shows up again towards the end, are having these 'ah-ha' moments, growing and figuring out what they want from life. Cat, well, I'm just grateful she returned to her normal self. There wasn't much devolpment with her at all, except at the end when she (holy mother of god, finally!) hooks up with Vai and tells him what her story has been all about.

And thank god the relationship got sorted out. That went on for way too long and if they had not reached a point of trust by the end of this book, I'm not sure I would have picked up the third. Cat's reluctance and wishy-washy-ness was getting tiresome.

All that makes it sound as if I didn't love this book, much like the first. But I do! I gave it five stars in spite of these faults, the story and action makes up for everything it may fall short of.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Fire.

06/06/2012 page 153