Anne's Reviews > Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Blood

Oct 23, 12

bookshelves: comics, graphic-novels, read-in-2012
Read on October 22, 2012

Wha...?

Nooooo. This was definitely not what I was hoping for, especially after reading the very cool pre-reboot Wonder Woman: Odyssey, Volume 1.
I was disappointed after seeing her appearance in Justice League, Vol. 1: Origin, but I've been holding out hope that Azzarello was going to take WW in a different direction. Well, to be fair, he certainly went in a different direction. Her entire backstory is changed. She finds out that she wasn't crafted from clay and brought to life by her mother's prayers. Nope. She was just the result of a one-night stand with Zeus.
And like an episode of Jerry Springer, Hera is furious that Hippolyta is her husband's baby momma. Hilarity ensues, and Wonder Woman finds herself fighting not only for herself, but for some chick named Zola (who is also a big fan of the one-night stand).
Other than the shocking reveal (which happens almost immediately), nothing else in this volume is very interesting. It's mostly a jumbled mess of (uninteresting) fight scenes and character introductions.

And the art.
Oh. My. God.
Saying it was boring would be a compliment. The inside pages aren't as fugly as the cover art, but they certainly didn't inspire me to linger over the pictures.
And what wasn't boring or drab was just flat-out weird.
Hermes looked like a zombie, Poseidon looked like some sort of a fish/toad hybrid, and Hades appeared to have a glowing mound of lava on his head...in the shape of a mushroom. Turns out they were candles. When the fuck have you ever seen Hades with a head full of candles?!
Ok, at the end WW yanks out one of Hades' candles and chucks it a Hera. Somehow it traps her. I'm not even going to pretend that I understood what was going on in the story at that point, but evidently it was important to the plot line for the god of the Underworld to look like a birthday cake.
But still...!

This was awful, and I want Gail Simone back!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Woman, Vol. 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Son of Sam Quixote Great observation about a character who’s supposed to be intimidating and feared – God of the Underworld: Birthday-cake-head!

Sesana Oh, how I hated how the Greek gods were portrayed. I knew there would be trouble when I realized that the colorist didn't even bother to give Athena grey eyes.

Anne It looked more like someone had smashed an entire cake on his head then lit it on fire, Sam. He had no eyes! Awful stuff.

Sesana, I don't think anyone involved with this mess knew anything about the Greek gods. This was such a waste!

Sesana Couldn't agree more, Anne.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

haha I think the cake for a head sounds interesting. Maybe I just like weird stuff.

Anne You might like the cake-head thing, Anthony, but I doubt you'd like the rest of the story. It wasn't trippy weird, it was boring weird.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cristiani I'm with you. I stopped reading after the first issue, because I wasn't as charmed as I'd hoped.

message 8: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Have you read the George Perez run?

Anne No, but I've heard it's decent...

Sesana I loved Perez on Wonder Woman. From the Greek mythology angle, I feel like he got it better than just about anyone.

message 11: by Anne (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anne Maybe that will be next up on my list. Where do I start? Anybody?

Sesana Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Gods and Mortals. There's five or six Perez trades available, though I don't think that was his entire run.

message 13: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael The next one would be challenge of the gods followed by beauty and the beasts and destiny calling.

message 14: by Anne (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anne Thanks, I'll start looking!

message 15: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Out of curiosity I might check this book out!( although I'm not sure how I might react to it!)

message 16: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael You want to know something interesting, right now fans are starting to get bored with Brian azzarello's run since its just dragging on and on and go nowhere.

message 17: by Caz (new)

Caz Edmunds I saw the WW art and didn't exactly like it. The George Perez run along with the Gail Simone run and the Strazynski run would be the ones I like

message 18: by Anne (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anne Simone is the only one I've been able to get my hands on so far, but I LOVE her take on WW.

Colee B This incarnation of Diana just doesn't seem to have the heart of the character that previous writers have done a decent job capturing. Even some of my not-so-favorite Wondy writers have a done an okay job with capturing what makes Diana Diana. Have you read Rucka' s Wonder Woman? He is one of the few writers who doesn't feel the need to make Diana a copy of another hero or to make major alterations to her personality so that she is supposedly nor appealing.