Ashley's Reviews > This Cake Is for the Party: Stories

This Cake Is for the Party by Sarah Selecky

Jun 07, 12

Read from June 04 to 07, 2012

My streak of bad luck book wise is over! I have found a book that if I didn't love it, I definitely LIKED it! Short stories normally aren't my thing, but this collection was just so beautifully written. I don't even know if I can pinpoint what I liked so much about it. As I was reading I just kind of let the stories wash over me.

Selecky's writing is captivating and short stories were really the perfect form for all of these stories. The stories worked to varying degrees, but as a collection they were wonderful. Each story was a sort of rumination on loneliness and human frailty; there was this lonely feel throughout the book that I found intriguing. The stories just show the reader a glimpse into the lives of these characters. We only get to see a weekend or a day or a few flashbacks. These are personal moments. Real moments. These are just days where one little thing; one small decision, whether it's to babysit a friend's son or look for your missing cat can have a major impact.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Cake Is for the Party.