alicia's Reviews > Heart of the Matter

Jun 12, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: 2012-reads, fiction
Read from June 09 to 12, 2012

I couldn't be happier to finish this book. The only reason I didn't close the pages and happily return it to the library was because I was using it in a book challenge, otherwise that would have been my reaction 100 pages into the story.

I'm aware that books are geared towards a particular audience, and I'm well aware that Giffin's plot had zero connection with me. Even thoug I'm married, and even though the two main characters are married females, this novel could not have resonated further from me than if she wrote about an elderly gentleman suffering from prostate problems.
Despite the differences (there have been many a book that I can't relate to) Emily Giffin managed to make me regret choosing this book. A rare feat for me.

Every character you interact with in Giffin's book is a stereotype. A "grandmotherly" teacher, a "wisened" principal, a "stuck-up" rich neighbor, a "bitter" single mother, a "bored and depressed" housewife. If Emily Giffin were to introduce a new character, I would immediately know what they looked like, what their personality contained, and how they felt.
It's as if Giffin used her character's jobs as allegories. Tessa, one of the main characters, is a stay at home mom, symbolizing to the reader that she's bored, lonely, tired, and regretful. Her husband is a doctor, therefore, he's overworked, unavailable at home, and smarter than his wife.

Talk about being insulting. There were mutliple occassions while reading that I felt extremely irritated with what I was reading, as if Giffin was looking down upon people who fell under a certain category or asking as if a certain group of people were idiots.

The nail in the coffin, for me, though, was when she put the blame of a terrible situation on the innocent victim. While I personnally hae no experience with the situation, I'm mature enough and well-versed enough in the world to know that that the way the problem was handled was complete bull.

Sorry, Emily Giffin, I tried to give you a chance. I was hopeful going into your book that I'd found a new author to read and enjoy, but alas, I have instead felt like two days of my time was wasted. Rather than being lost in a good story, I have experienced anger and frustration over a story I did not enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of the Matter.

06/10/2012 page 112
06/12/2012 page 286
74.0% "When will this book end?!"
show 2 hidden updates…