Dan's Reviews > Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture

Masters of Doom by David Kushner

Jul 23, 07

Recommended for: fans of Doom, computer programmers, consumate gamers, dreamers of all sorts
Read in August, 2004

The true story of John Carmack and John Romero and how they created Id software and became the most prolific computer game designers in the 1990s.

The story describes how two misfit geeks were able to follow their passion of games and through hard work were able to make impressive advances in game technology and get rich at it as well. It also shows the ravages of arrogance on business and how letting ego come into play can destroy friendships and companies.

The story uses an extended metaphor for the company with a dungeons and dragons campaign that the main characters were playing.

This book is very interesting. The writing style is journalistic and simple. This works, because the book is a quick read. The story is great, and the author does an excellent job of giving a human element to the story by describing the lives of the most important Id programmers and designers.

I read this book because I was a big fan of Id software and the games that it produced. Also, I had just started a job in the computer industry and I still had some sort of romantic notions of what it would be like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masters of Doom.