Becky's Reviews > The Jewel of Seven Stars

The Jewel of Seven Stars by Bram Stoker

Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: victorian, horror, authors-i-love-who-failed
Read from June 04 to 11, 2012

I try to re-read Dracula almost every year for Halloween. I absolutely LOVE that book. I love the faint horror, the dialogue, the characters, the power of evil, and just, well, all of it.

I could not, however, like this book. I was enjoying it for the first few chapters. It was your standard Victorian horror, people sitting around talking and yet there was some evil lurking in the peripherals, and it intrigued me. But then nothing happened. At all. The evil never presented itself, it just kept lurking, and it seemed so harmless. It went from interesting to beyond-boring, and never picked up again. The book itself was comatose.

Perhaps I’m being harsh, but it was just so disappointing. It just limped along. I would highly recommend skipping over this one.

Its too bad, the audiobook provided by Librivox was excellent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel of Seven Stars.

06/04/2012 "You know, I really believe in book vacations. I'm in the middle of a lot of really good books, No Name, Moby Dick, etc. And they are great.... buuut I just need a different flavor for a while. I told myself I wouldnt add more books to my currently reading list, but I lied. I knew I was lying when I said it. I'm excited to listen to some new-to-me Bram Stoker."
06/05/2012
45.0% "So incredibly different from Dracula, but still enjoying it quite a bit!"
06/05/2012
71.0% "Meg starting to drag a bit. Average Victorian horror, lots of talking, not a lot of plot or action. He couldve built the mystery up more."
06/06/2012
85.0% "The story kind of just keeps limping on without any sense of suspense. Seems like Stoker lost the plot. Like he wanted to do horror, but he just couldnt (or wasnt allowed) to go there dring the Victorian era."
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan Baxter There are pictures of Bram Stoker that look *exactly* like my husband. I'm not kidding. It kind of weirds me out.

The pictures are in black and white, but apparently Stoker was a redhead too. There's got to be some shared genes in there somewhere.

Becky Haha thats hilarious! It always freaks me out when I see pictures of people from 100 years ago that look like a twin of someone I know now.