Elli's Reviews > Ghost Stories of 17th Century China from Po Chung-Ling's Liu Tzai Pavilion : Vol. One

Ghost Stories of 17th Century China from Po Chung-Ling's Liu ... by Julie Lipson

4199685
Jul 26, 12

bookshelves: on-kindle, china-17th-century-ghost-stories-b
Read in July, 2012

Reviews on this book were mixed. I, for one, really found it interesting and very worthwhile, if, in fact, a number of them were definitely unappetizing, the kind of thing modern parents scream about when kid goes to a movie that they think he shouldn't be going to. Some call this person the first hip hop master of horror. He does have his version of Poe or King in some of the short stories. He was considered cultish, distasteful, and was even banned by one set of dynasty emperors. I'm going to give it a 4.5 because I think it's worth it. Others said he's more like a cautionary bible stories or Grimm's fairy tales although sometimes just what you want to happen does happen. The language is modern (one even uses "dude." But the superstitions and the settings and some of the attitudes are older. If you're into this, I'd recommend it. But if you need it tasteful and representative of all that is fine, beautiful and artistic to enjoy, I'd say "skip it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Stories of 17th Century China from Po Chung-Ling's Liu Tzai Pavilion .