Kathryn's Reviews > The Corinthian

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, historical-fiction, on-my-nook, regency-romance
Read in June, 2012

I'm not a big fan of The Corinthian. It reminds me a great deal of The Talisman Ring, in that nearly all the action takes place at an inn and the two focal characters at the beginning of the novel are a young, foolish, romantic girl and an older, practical, seemingly unsentimental man. However, The Talisman Ring doesn't try to make us believe that these two characters could love one another. Instead, the gap between them is bridged by a humorous yet practical lady closer to the hero's age, who befriends the girl and loves the man. (I believe I mentioned in that review that the only failing of The Talisman Ring is that there isn't enough of Sarah and Tristram...)

In The Corinthian, however, it turns out in the last few pages that the practical, unromantic man, who has behaved as a kind uncle toward the young girl through the whole story, is actually in love with her. This just isn't believable, and as much as I do like Pen - her ability to unblushingly fabricate the most ridiculous stories without a moment's hesitation keeps me laughing throughout - she, like Eustacie in The Talisman Ring, is just too immature to be a convincing romantic foil for a mature man. One is forced to conclude that Richard Wyndham is not, in fact, mature, and, indeed, is nearly as foolish as Pen herself.

Heyer fans will still find moments of enjoyment in this one, but overall, it's not a strong performance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Corinthian.