Derek's Reviews > Canada

Canada by Richard Ford

Jun 26, 2012

did not like it
Read from June 04 to 25, 2012

Yaaawn.. I must say it is very well written and I could picture all the boring details and bleak scenes.. which seemed to go by at an excruciating, belabored pace. It was like watching a train-wreck in super-duper slow motion, frame-by-frame: Two train-wrecks to be more precise, for this poor little slob of a main character.

This is one of those books that may actually translate into one of those acclaimed "films".. which, if it does, I will then have wished that I had waited for the film to come out, because it would have gone by much quicker. The scenes are already described in so much detail that all you would have to do is look at them on the big screen and listen to this poor kid's narration (much faster that way).

Bottom line: Wait for the "film" to come out, THEN pretend to like it.

Ps: I noticed that there is a box at the bottom to check to hide the review because of "Spoilers". I don't think Richard has to worry about that because he does it himself all the way through this book.. I kept reading because I thought there might be some wonderful, shocking twist at the end of the story. I could see the train coming toward our train and knew what the end of it would be, but I just couldn't get off the track.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Canada.

02/21/2016 marked as: read

Peggy Totally agree with your review.

Kristin Strong Awful. Just awful. No wonder the kid liked chess -- reading this was like watching a chess match: Most of it was waiting for something to happen.

Rick None of you read this book to the end or you are too young or cynical.

Kristin Strong Finished it. Not young. Cynical, I'll cop to.

message 5: by Derek (last edited Nov 03, 2012 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Derek Rick wrote: "None of you read this book to the end or you are too young or cynical."

Wow, Rick.. seems like I couldn't have written the book review without reading the whole thing.. which I did. Wish I could say I am young.. but no. Cynical? Absolutely. I stand by the review and also say the book is way overrated. Would make a good 'film' though. :) "

Thanks for the feedback"

Krishna Agree 100%! too slow with unwanted details; it was hard getting through it.

message 7: by David (new)

David Homer Phew just finished it.

Agree with you.

It's dull in a way that a lot of American movies aim to get oscars by being 'clever' by being drawn out, slow and bereft of any actual events. You walk away feeling like you've been given a message but I'm not sure what it is...?

Derek David wrote: "Phew just finished it.

Agree with you.

Perhaps it is: "All is lost, we'll never make it.. we're all gonna die.." (Of boredom at the very least)

John Yes, you can't hide spoilers--he telegraphs them over and over and over, in case you were hit on the head since the last time you put the book down. Some people thought the oodles of foreshadowing made the book more intense. I'd say instead it was just a writer trying to add weight to a story that really falls apart and runs out of gas halfway through, sort of like his previous novel. I love RF, but this isn't one of his better works.

message 10: by John (new) - rated it 2 stars

John > None of you read this book to the
> end or you are too young or cynical.

I read it to the end and I am probably older than you. What does cynical have to do with it? I don't see how that matters one way or the other. Other Ford novels end very similarly. They're just better-written and have denser, fuller characters.

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ann Sumner I could not wait to see what happened next in this novel but... nothing happened next. I put it down halfway through and I don't even feel bad about it. I loved Ford's previous books but this one was like driving across Kansas.

Connie Read it to the end. Wasn't worth it. Not worth the paper it is printed on. Boring. long-winded, took forever to get no where.