Matt Linzey's Reviews > Tom's Midnight Garden

Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce

M 50x66
Jun 04, 12

I remember being read this book as a class while in Year 6. I recently came across it again while on my PGCE placement because one of the girls in my class is currently reading it. The story follows a young boy, Tom, who is sent to spend the Summer with his Aunt. Tom is less than enthusiastic about this and boredom sets in very early on his visit. Struggling to fall asleep one night, Tom is laying awake wishing he had something to do and some people his age to enjoy the holidays with. Still bored, Tom counts the loud chimes of the grandfather clock as they strike and is shocked to count a thirteenth chime! The thirteenth chime opens the door to another world, a world of a garden set in Victorian splendour. The story follows Tom as he visits the garden and soon realises that there are children there for him to play with but something isn't right ... are these children real? Is the garden real? What does and does not exist?!

This story is wonderfully written and approaches the feeling of loneliness with a gentle yearning which is really very endearing. The story is pitched at a level suitable for 8-12 year olds. A really engaging read that keeps you thinking and questioning right up until the end.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tom's Midnight Garden.