Benjamin Thomas's Reviews > The Last Refuge

The Last Refuge by Ben Coes

May 25, 2016

bookshelves: advanced-reading-copy, thriller-spy
Read from June 04 to 06, 2012

This being the third book in a contemporary action series, I was a little concerned going in to it. I had been amazed with the first novel, "Power Down" due to its unique and intriguing plot and was equally impressed with the second novel, "Coup D'état" because the author refused to follow a templated, formulaic plot and had once again provided a fantastic read. So how would this third one stack up?

To tell the truth I was a little worried through the first 1/3rd of the book. Don't get me wrong; it was well written, and I enjoyed getting to see some of the major returning characters fleshed out a little more. But I was concerned about the plot cruising along on "neutral". Book marketers for this type of fiction like to say their plots are "ripped right from today's headlines". This story would seem to be the same as it involves Iran and their emerging nuclear weapons program and our protagonist, Dewey Andreas, would obviously and predictably be in the middle of whatever happened.

I have come to rely on this author to provide new slants on overused plots and this novel turned out to vindicate my belief in him. The story soon turned everything on its head and nothing was predictable. The supporting cast is well drawn and Dewey himself showed that he is not the perfect, untouchable, hero that I've seen in so many similar novels and does, in fact, have vulnerabilities. The pacing is spot on and the characters (whether politicians, terrorists, good guys or bad guys) were well rounded and believable. Thankfully, the author relies on good storytelling techniques and not an inundation of tech terms that are unnecessary. (One of my pet peeves is when an author spends more time on the intricacies of a particular gun or weapons system than on his/her characters, like he/she has to somehow prove their authorship by providing their credentials). The ending was spectacular and satisfying.

Ben Coes has made the transition from "new" author to one of my go-to authors for a great read. If you like Vince Flynn or Brad Thor, I suggest you give Ben Coes a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Refuge.

05/25 marked as: read

message 1: by Leon (new) - added it

Leon Aldrich Checking out this author; thanks Ben!

Benjamin Thomas Sure thing!