Pam's Reviews > Working Stiff

Working Stiff by Annelise Ryan

Jun 22, 12

bookshelves: m-f-romance, medical, mystery, series, police-fbi
Read from June 20 to 22, 2012

I recently came across this book while wandering through the stacks at the local library and I'm glad I did. Reading the blurb on the inside cover made me want to read it but the first paragraph grabbed my attention and from that moment on I was hooked. I had to read more about this zany main character and see what strange things were going on in her life.

Mattie Winston is a nurse. She doesn't let catching her cheating doctor husband with his pants down destroy her. Not this sassy woman. She goes to work for her friend Izzy (don't you love the name?)in the coroner's office. It allows her to start a new career, which lands her in the middle of a murder investigation...and lets her met a hunky but very irritating detective.

Yes, this book does fall into the cozy mystery category but it's much more. The mystery is far above average in the number of plot twists...I didn't have a clue as the identity of the murderer,it's filled with interesting forensics, but more importantly its quirky, fun, entertaining and it made me laugh. I don't mean crack a smile, but laugh loud enough to wake my husband. Some of the situations Mattie gets into are hilarious and the bantering dialogue between her and some of the other characters is crazy funny. It's been a long time since I've felt so sucked into a character's life.

I for one can't wait to see what happens to Mattie and her friends next. Now, I just have to get the second book. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Working Stiff.