Ann's Reviews > Taking Shots

Taking Shots by Toni Aleo

Jun 24, 13

bookshelves: romance-sports, contemporary-romance
Read from June 04 to 06, 2012

Am a big fan of sports related romance so I liked the story, loved Shea, the Hero, the heroine, Elli...nah, not so much. Shea the sexy, sensitive, tattooed hockey player for the Assassins wears geek glasses is muscled, funny, sweet, jealous, possessive and totally in love with and devoted to Elli. And Shea’s absolutely adorable with his sister, Grace, and her family. Gotta tell ya, I'm a sucker for any story with a guy that's good with kids. Shea’s biggest flaw? Having the hots for Elli. It's miraculous the guy can put up with her. She's annoying throughout the entire bk. She whines about being fat, she's insecure and rationalizes that because she's from the south she’s entitled to use bad grammar. Her family on the other hand, also from the south, does not. Go figure. Wanted to smack that Elli soooo bad.

This story was almost, and I say almost, KA like in that there's the alpha male, its lengthy, just the everyday ups and downs of the H/h's relationship with some drama thrown in and likeable side characters. But that’s where the similarity ends. Am I glad I read it? Yes, because of all the positives I mentioned, but hoping Toni Aleo will ultimately write a story with a more appealing h.

One last thing, she definitely needs to get spell check and a better proofreader. I’m usually more tolerant of that issue than most, but I found it distracting. Heading on to bk 2, Trying to Score.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taking Shots.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anne OK Nicely done review, Ann! I have this in my TBR stack. I love a good sports-themed romance! Little worried about the "Elli" element now.

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Give it a go and let me know what you think. Elli was annoying but the rest of the story was worth the read. HA- after reading the 2nd bk Fallon makes Elli look less annoying.

message 3: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane I want to read this...hopefully I'll like the heroine more than you did!

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Like I told AnneOK, give it a go. Love to hear your thoughts afterward. Fallon in the next bk makes Elli look less annoying, but that's still a stretch. Shea, the story and other characters made this worth reading.