Monika Pardon's Reviews > Poison

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: four-star
Read in June, 2012

Synopsis:

Dessa Ambrose – the normal girl-next-door who yearns for her life to attain meaning – meets the strangely alluring Christopher Calder, who holds the secrets of the past and the keys to all the doors Dessa wishes to open. As she spends more time with Chris, Dessa begins to realize that he isn’t human – or at least not a normal one. His mysterious powers leave Dessa questioning the very foundation of the world she grew up in, and when Chris finally opens the door to Dessa’s future, she finds herself reluctant to walk through it.

Chris brings her – along with her brother: Ricky, best friend: Paola, and the local subject of everyone’s dirty stares: Skylar – to the mythical Fountain of Athanasia, where they all finally remember who they were, why they had forgotten, and just exactly what they were capable of.

As a newly Awakened Keeper – a God in the form of a human with the power to control one of the elements of nature—Dessa learns of her affinity for Light, but as she and her friends try to remember everything from their dark pasts, the evil they knew then has followed them to the present. But unfortunately for them, none of them can remember who that evil might be.

With that evil destroying the bonds that hold them so close to one another, wreaking destruction upon the world, and attempting to claim Dessa’s life at every available turn, Dessa realizes that her true destiny can no longer be avoided.

When it all comes down to it, Dessa must either forfeit herself, her power, and her will to live, or she must give up the lives of the entire world – of those she sought to protect. Can she make the ultimate sacrifice? Or is she just as spineless as the enemy believes her to be?

Review:

Poison hooked me from the very beginning. Told in Dessa's point of view, it was an interesting tale of reincarnation. Dessa was a very strong lead. The supporting characters were also strong. The story itself (I'm not saying anthing since I don't want to write spoilers) was very interesting. I couldn't wait to see what happened by the end of the book. I eneded up reading it very late into the night. I only do that if I CAN'T put it down!

Here is why I couldn't give it five stars. I felt like parts of the story was a little unclear, and I found that I had to go back and reread parts of it. I felt that the story was believable, but Dessa accepting everything, it seemed a little rushed.

Dejana Vuletic didn't leave me confused by the end. She wrapped the story up nicely, but left just enough questions for the sequel. The story is sound and the writing is good. I loved the book and will definately read the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poison.