Stewart's Reviews > Giving Up the Ghost: A Story About Friendship, 80s Rock, a Lost Scrap of Paper, and What It Means to Be Haunted

Giving Up the Ghost by Eric Nuzum

Jun 22, 12

Read from June 12 to 21, 2012

I'm a sucker for a good memoir so when I won this book through Goodreads I was excited to give it a go. Giving up the Ghost is easily one of the best memoirs I have read to date. Although the entire book revolved around Eric Nuzum's experiences with ghosts and his own personal hauntings, it actually felt like a story that we can all relate to in some way. Of course we all might not be scared of the ghost of a little girl in a blue dress or enjoy hallucinogenics on a regular basis, but this memoir is a story that addresses facing personal ghosts of any kind. I felt like it was something anyone could take a bite of.

I immensely enjoyed Eric Nuzum's writing style. This was my first experience with his work but it was very genuine and full of well-placed humor while still being balanced with emotion and tear-jerking memories. The only thing I found lacking in the book at all was a few pages near the end where Nuzum begins to wax poetic with life-lessons - which was good for a few paragraphs but ran a bit too long. However, this was a minor complaint and every other second I spent reading the book was exhilarating!

Another thing that I thoroughly enjoyed about the book was the setting. Although many people may not be able to relate, I currently live in the Cleveland area so many of the events in the story occur a short jaunt from my home and the setting felt very real to me. I've walked in many of the same locations he has so some of my own ghosts dwell near those places. It's not too often you get to have an experience like that with a book.

Congrats to Eric Nuzum for writing such a compelling story. You don't need to be a believer in ghosts to fall in love with this book!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Giving Up the Ghost.

Quotes Stewart Liked

Eric Nuzum
“Outside of note passing and the occasional tight-lipped kiss after school events, "going together" in seventh grade was pretty meaningless. You couldn't drive, had nowhere to go, and either weren't allowed or couldn't afford to do anything. I was kind of like being an old married couple, except you could control you bowels and stay awake past 8 p.m.”
Eric Nuzum, Giving Up the Ghost: A Story About Friendship, 80s Rock, a Lost Scrap of Paper, and What It Means to Be Haunted

Eric Nuzum
“If there is one thing I'd learned about hospitals, it's that they aren't interested in healing you. They are interested in stabilizing you, and then everyone is supposed to move on. They go to stabilize some more people, and you go off to do whatever you do. Healing, if it happens at all, is done on your own, long after the hospital has submitted your final insurance paperwork.”

06/12/2012 page 20