Shirley's Reviews > Second Chance Summer

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012-releases, own, favourites, for-review
Read from June 04 to 08, 2012

If you scroll through many of the reviews on goodreads, you'll find something in common- that is, most reviews describe Second Chance Summer as beautiful. And I have to agree. It truly was a beautifully crafted story of second chances, mending the wrongs of the past and starting over; but at its core, it is an incredibly moving story of love, loss, friendship and most importantly, family.

I absolutely loved the relationship between Taylor and her father. It's quite obvious from the start that Taylor and her family weren't a tight-knit bunch - and while she may be closer to her father, you never got the impression they exceptionally close. But I really love how their father-daughter relationship developed over the Summer- they truly bonded over these few months. Their time together was precious, and all the fun they had- eating ice cream together, doing cross-words, listening to music and learning about the tiny details of each other- were unforgettable. This particular summer was a genuinely memorable one for both of them.

And speaking of relationships, I also loved Henry and Taylor<3 Their love was sweet, beautiful and completely sincere. He may not be the hottest guy; she may not be the hottest girl, but they were perfect for each other. He understood her in a way that no body else did, and she exposed sides of herself to him, that she would never show to anyone else. They were just...for a lack of better word, perfect for one another.

As for Taylor herself, I wanted to hate her. I really did. I hated the way she treated her friends. I hated how she handled situations ( running away when she didn't want to deal with a certain situation); and I especially hated how she was always too cowardly to apologize. Yet despite all these traits that I despise, I just...couldn't help but like her. There's something about her pure heart, and the understandable fear of losing her loved ones that had me accepting her flaws and also being able to relate to her. I was able to wholeheartedly understand her reasons for doing what she did, and in the end, I just..couldn't blame her. She was, in the end, a character I was able to connect with very easily.

This really ought to have been released either early or late this year in Australia- it's the perfect Summer read; it's perfect for reading at the beach, while you relax and let your mind wander free. It's just such a pity it's winter here, and freezing cold; it's possibly the worst weather to read this! Anyway, weather conditions aside, I urge you to pick this book up and READ IT NOW. Second Chance Summer will have you smiling one moment, content with everything that's happening, and bawling your eyes out the next. For me, it was a sweet, gentle and purely extraordinary read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Chance Summer.

06/04/2012 page 200
43.0% "So, I'm liking this A LOT. But I'm hoping (like, desperately hoping) the whole reason Taylor hasn't gone back to her summer house in 5 years ISN'T because of some love triangle....'cuz right now, I'm feeling like the whole ignoring thing is the aftermath of an inevitable love triangle...." 1 comment

Rebecca Yay for 5 stars! Morgan Matson is genius.

Shirley Rebecca wrote: "Yay for 5 stars! Morgan Matson is genius."

heheee of course :) Now I just have to read A&R!

Rebecca You must! It's awesome :)