Marga's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

I just finished reading THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER today at exactly 11:38am.

I should explain. About three or four days ago I was nervously just walking around the second floor of my house. It was almost bed time and I had nothing to do. At that time I just finished reading The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair and I didnt want to read The Last Battle yet, not because I couldnt find the book, but because I didnt want to ruin “the moment” for me. I like reading books (now) before they show the movies. It all started when I read The Voyage Of The Dawn Threader, which is my favorite Narnia book so far (and I’ve read everything except Prince Caspian, Horse and His Boy, & The Last Battle) and maybe second place would go to The Magician’s Nephew (the first Narnia book I read and it will be the next movie in the Narnia saga, whatever you call it).

Going back to the story… I had nothing to do and I was bored. I actually almost grabbed one of the Twilight books and thought to read it out of curiosity but then I panic-ly put it back cause I heard my older sister approach the room. After, I quickly then just pretend I was “cool or chilling” in her room. I think she didnt notice anything but I did tell her that I was bored and that I just finished reading The Silver Chair and that I wanted to read a new book. She saw the book (Perks of Being a Wallflower) on her study table and handed it over to me and told me to read it.I should explain something first, something that you would want to know about me and books or just basically my take on books. I dont really remember if I wrote about the first time I got interested in books and in reading (not just the forced reading I usually do in school). I really dont like reading, maybe its because I’m lazy or its because I just dont want to. I havent really figured that out. But that all changed with one book, this book is special to me and I will never forget the first thing I felt before, while, and after reading it. The Boy Who Couldnt Die. If you ask any of my siblings what my favorite book would be they would say this. Let me tell you a flashback story. Last summer in 2008 (for my older sister and brother’s graduation celebration) we went to New York, Canada, Texas, Florida (for Disney World), the back to New York for the remaining 2 weeks. In the remaining 2 weeks of our time their in the fabulous foreign country our Aunt, my godmother, thought of us reading books instead of doing nothing productive. Trivia: She loves reading books, I think she read over a thousand books already, no kidding. So she took us to the library near their home and told us to chose books we wanted to read. Personally at that time I didnt know what books I wanted to read, I was never interested in books, I dont like reading or the fact that I have to read and I didnt know what to do. My younger siblings told me to just look at book covers and titles and see what intrigues me or read the description in the back or something. I was scared to pick a no-sense-of-reading book so I asked my older sister for help. She already had a couple of books in her arms, so she took the time to help me find a book for me. That was so nice of her. She found a couple but I felt like I wouldnt read them, I would just pretend to read them or read them like I read school books (which wasnt a very good habit of mine, slowly improving, trust me). So she kept searching. She went to the thriller, suspense, drama area, fiction really. And took this book that had a skull on it and gave it to me. It was like “my job here is done” moment for her and I told her thanks because I love skulls and always found them interesting like a form of art or something. So she walked away with her “couple of books” after smiling at me cause she saw how grateful I was of her to help me. The first time I ready the book was the first time in my life to a new world and my imagination exploded while reading and turning every page and I just felt infinite (you see what I did there, people who read the Perks of Being a Wallflower? I mean it). I read the book twice but I never finished (2nd time) reading it (cause it was time to go back home to the Philippines). And that’s when I started loving books and reading, that’s when I found out about the genre of books I like to read and genre of books I want to explore reading, and the feeling I have whenever I read a certain book. Ever since then I’ve been looking for that book, I want to buy it or even borrow it from someone or just get the chance to read it again, but I would really like to buy it. I never got the chance to read it again or finish the chapters I havent read ever since that day. It’s been 2 years now, I know, I’m disappointed too. The book’s by William Sleator btw.

I just want to point out the connection of the two books. My sister picked out the first book who gave me all that mentioned above and gave me the book I just finished today. I really appreciate her for all these things whether she knows it or not. Okay. So, back to the story? Yes. All right. So she handed me the book. It’s actually not ours, it’s my little sister’s friend’s book. Her friend let her borrow it because her friend liked it and she did read it, well, for a while then she stopped because she didnt like the other parts of the book and I agreed with her. I mean its not like I dont like those parts but its just I thought that it was right of her not to continue to read it. It had a lot of rated parts, if you know what I mean and if you read the book already. You see, we have a different culture here in the Philippines, our high school is different from other countries? USA high school is almost like colllege to us and our high school is a whole different to USA’s. It’s just two worlds and I think the book is inappropriate for their age especially when they dont have an open mind about certain things and will not follow the lives of the people in the book or be curious in experiencing these things or try these things or are not matured enough to understand these things. And since I’m old enough and have an understanding and is always open minded about books and sometimes people and situations or events, I read the book. It didnt get me as interested to read the next chapters unlike The Boy Who Couldnt Die or the Narnia books or other books I’ve read. It only got to the middle-to-end parts that I got very interested in finding out what comes next. You know that feeling? It’s kind of special to me. Anyway, I even stayed up late last night when everybody was sleeping already and I was still reading the book. I couldnt stop, I really wanted to find out things. I also thought that Charlie’s gonna mention who “friend” was but he didnt (SPOILERS, sorry I had to), I had a few guesses though. Also while reading, I kind of thought about how they would make it into a movie and how would the characters be and I do hope they follow everything in the book or else they shame the book just like what The Voyage Of Dawn Treader did in the movie. Book was better. I hope it would be like the Harry Potter movies, followed the books, hid some things but still followed the book. I really do hope so or else I would hate those people forever like I do in the Voyage… I also do hope they follow the personality of the characters in the book. I’m excited to see Logan Lerman cry a lot and I dont really like it that Emma Watson plays Sam although it’s appropriate cause I think she’s really pretty too but I dont want her to smoke and I feel that way about Logan too. Nina Dobrev would be a great sister of Charlie because of her Katherina Petrova character in TVD. I dont know who Nic Braun would be though, I hope he’s Michael or Peter. I think Ben from AHS would be perfect as Charlie’s dad because of how he performed in AHS. Johnny Simmons, I think is his name, he plays Brad, which I think is appropriate, maybe, I’m not really sure. And I dont really know the other actors and actresses but I hope they do good. If not good, great!
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. It got me thinking about my life and how I could compare it to Charlie’s. Charlie’s life is more something (forgot the word) than mine is but mine is somewhat difficult too. I will never and has ever smoke nor do drugs. I did get drunk once, but that will be my last. I think I was a wallflower too, I think I still am, maybe a little. I wish I was as smart as Charlie was but I dont think I will ever be. I could relate to some parts of the book. Especially the pain he feels about his Aunt Helen (Tita Aida…), death of his bestfriend Michael (Lose of friends for me although I have experienced a death of one of my friends), and him being confused and overthinks about things too much (everyday of my life). Its a good book but I would recommend it to someone who dosent think like me and Charlie do, or basically me. I would recommend it to people who dont see light at the end of the tunnel or people who think they got the worse life when they really dont. People similar or related to that, maybe. I just hope people who reads this book gets the point of the book. I recommend this strongly to my friend, Adam. He needs to read this, fo rizzles. I will reflect more on this book soon.

But the greatest thing I have got from this book is how much I missed writing. And how much I wanted to be an author someday, maybe after or during my masters or something. This book, well, Charlie encouraged me to write again and I thank it for that. I thank you, Charlie, for that. And I’m grateful to have read this book and shall read it again some day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Quotes Marga Liked

Stephen Chbosky
“It's strange because sometimes, I read a book, and I think I am the people in the book.”
Stephen Chbosky, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

We accept the love we think we deserve.
“We accept the love we think we deserve.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I think that if I ever have kids, and they are upset, I won't tell them that people are starving in China or anything like that because it wouldn't change the fact that they were upset. And even if somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have.”
Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Stephen Chbosky
“And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.”

Stephen Chbosky
“And all the books you've read have been read by other people. And all the songs you've loved have been heard by other people. And that girl that's pretty to you is pretty to other people. and that if you looked at these facts when you were happy, you would feel great because you are describing 'unity.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I would die for you. But I won't live for you.”

Stephen Chbosky
“And I thought about how many people have loved those songs. And how many people got through a lot of bad times because of those songs. And how many people enjoyed good times with those songs. And how much those songs really mean. I think it would be great to have written one of those songs. I bet if I wrote one of them, I would be very proud. I hope the people who wrote those songs are happy. I hope they feel it's enough. I really do because they've made me happy. And I'm only one person.”

Stephen Chbosky
“If somebody likes me, I want them to like the real me, not what they think I am. And I don't want them to carry it around inside. I want them to show me, so I can feel it, too. I want them to be able to do whatever they want around me.”

Stephen Chbosky
“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.”

Stephen Chbosky
“We didn't talk about anything heavy or light. We were just there together. And that was enough”

Stephen Chbosky
“Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.”

Stephen Chbosky
“There's nothing like deep breaths after laughing that hard. Nothing in the world like a sore stomach for the right reasons.”

Stephen Chbosky
“It's just that I don't want to be somebody's crush. If somebody likes me, I want them to like the real me, not what they think I am. And I don't want them to carry it around inside. I want them to show me, so I can feel it too.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I think the idea is that every person has to live for his or her own life and then make the choice to share it with other people. Maybe that is what makes people "participate.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I don’t know if you’ve ever felt like that. That you wanted to sleep for a thousand years. Or just not exist. Or just not be aware that you do exist. Or something like that. I think wanting that is very morbid, but I want it when I get like this. That’s why I’m trying not to think. I just want it all to stop spinning.”

Stephen Chbosky
“This moment will just be another story someday.”

Stephen Chbosky
“It's much easier to not know things sometimes. Things change and friends leave. And life doesn't stop for anybody. I wanted to laugh. Or maybe get mad. Or maybe shrug at how strange everybody was, especially me. I think the idea is that every person has to live for his or her own life and than make the choice to share it with other people. You can't just sit their and put everybody's lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love. You just can't. You have to do things. I'm going to do what I want to do. I'm going to be who I really am. And I'm going to figure out what that is. And we could all sit around and wonder and feel bad about each other and blame a lot of people for what they did or didn't do or what they didn't know. I don't know. I guess there could always be someone to blame. It's just different. Maybe it's good to put things in perspective, but sometimes, I think that the only perspective is to really be there. Because it's okay to feel things. I was really there. And that was enough to make me feel infinite. I feel infinite.”