M.'s Reviews > Callum & Harper

did not like it
bookshelves: ya-contemporary-romance
Read from January 29 to 30, 2013

Review with Spoilers

Okay, after reading Vain, I really wanted to like this book. It started all right, it didn't grab me like Vain did, but it wasn't bad either. Until things got really idiotic.

Here comes the ranting:

You want me to believe that two people in love, living together, pretending to be married, flirting and touching all the time did not realize that their feelings for one another was mutual? You can only take insecurities so far, but two years of that is pushing the envelope beyond believable. And every attempt one of them made to come clean was interrupted but someone. Yeah, because they couldn't find the time to say what they felt while they were in their apartment, alone. The author created such a stupid misunderstanding that I don't think anyone could buy it. Nice way to keep a book without much plot going, make the lovebirds a couple of imbeciles.

Now, lets talk about the bad guy. I hate when authors make law enforcement useless, eliminate any common sense a character could have, just so she can stretch a book that didn't have much to say. It was like watching Friday the 13th where Jason never dies. That was John Bell, he kept coming back. Yeah, because the showdown at the library wasn't enough. He had to escape and go after Harper again! Don't even get me started on that whole airplane situation. Hello, you are trapped in airplane with a psycho who is not armed, just make a fuss about it. I'm pretty sure the combined forces of every men in that flight could subdue that bastard. The author made John Bell sound like Superman. And how did he get on board anyways. The man was a fugitive, doesn't the police issue warnings to airports and such? I remember when Harrison Ford was a fugitive he couldn't get anywhere, lol. I just hate this type of manipulative, senseless plot devices. I honestly lost my patience at that point and I'm not sure I can bring myself to finish reading the remaining 50 pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Callum & Harper.

message 1: by Natasha (new) - added it

Natasha I think we're the only two people in the world that didn't like this book... It's not that I thought it was that BAD.. just so unbelievable! And dumb. I hate when the main "plot twist" is some really stupid misunderstanding. I also thought it was boring and weird. Like these poor kids don't have a place to sleep or any money or barely clothes but have these so-called awesome party friends that they chill with but no one offers to help their homeless friends... It's just like "wtf".

message 2: by M. (new) - rated it 1 star

M. Yes, I thought it was too unrealistic as well. And the author never bothered to explain how Callum came to be friends with those people.
The main problem with Callum & Harper is that there is no plot so the author had to make the characters imbeciles and create an undestructible villain to keep the book over 300 pages. This should have been a short story.
I suppose we should give her a break since it was her first book but I don't get the outstanding reviews it got. It's not even a matter of taste, it's a matter people becoming dumber.

message 3: by Sobia (new)

Sobia I'm really glad i saw your review before picking this one up, it sounds like it would've driven me crazy!

message 4: by M. (new) - rated it 1 star

M. I'm glad my reviews are helping you. It's sad that a lot of the glowing reviews some books get are a bunch of BS and do not reflect the content quality of the book whatsoever. Sometimes I wonder if those reviewers are just afraid to write honest reviews and not get anymore free books.