Annalisa's Reviews > The Selfish Giant

542037
Sep 30, 2008

bookshelves: classics, childrens
Read in January, 1984

One of my favorite childhood stories about a giant who realizes that hording his garden brings him no joy, but sharing it expands its beauty and his enjoyment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selfish Giant.

Jeana I love all Oscar Wilde's fairytales, but usually they're really sad.

message 2: by Annalisa (last edited Sep 30, 2008 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annalisa That's probably what attracts me them :). My favorite fairy tale, after all, is The Little Mermaid. You can't get more sad than that! It's the intense emotion that attracted me to these stories as a child.

Jeana I think it's funny that most people don't realize just how very sad The Little Mermaid is. Everyone thinks it has a "Disney" ending.

Have you read The Nightingale (I think this is the right one) by Oscar Wilde? I don't think I'll ever be able to get the image (of the bird thrusting its chest into a thorn to use its blood to paint a rose red) out of my head. It was tragic and selfless.

message 4: by Annalisa (last edited Sep 30, 2008 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annalisa I can't remember. But I after your first comment, I reserved a copy at the library. I was upset when Disney announced they were making The Little Mermaid because I knew it wouldn't be the story I love. I like their version is pretty good, but I still like the original better.