Julia's Reviews > The Darlings are Forever

The Darlings are Forever by Melissa Kantor

F_50x66
Jun 03, 12

Melissa Kantor has been one of my favorite authors since I was in middle school, when Confessions of a Not-It Girl became the first chick-lit novel I ever owned. I've devoured most of her other books, so, even though I'd be hesitant to pick up a novel about high school freshmen by any other writer, I figured I'd give this one a try.

The first few chapters left me doubtful, but Kantor soon developed the three girls into strong, realistic characters. I appreciated how they each had their own strengths and weaknesses and didn't fall into the stereotypes it could be so easy to turn them into given the three different schools they were at. They also each have realistic problems — Natalya wants to be popular, Jane crushes on her friendly drama teacher, and Victoria deals with typical boy questions and not-so-typical appearance dilemmas because of her dad's campaign for the senate.

There is a sequel advertised in the back pages of my library copy of this book, and the first one impressed me enough that I plan on reading that when it comes out. Not enough to buy it, unless it ends up on one of the super-cheap Kindle sales, but enough that I'd consider braving the den of scarily immature seventh-graders that is my local library's teen section.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darlings are Forever.