Julia's Reviews > The Last Little Blue Envelope

The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson

Jan 07, 15

Read in June, 2012

I'm glad I reread 13LBE before picking up this one, as it had been a few years.

The Last Little Blue Envelope does a fairly good job of picking up where 13LBE left off, with Ginny back in the States and struggling with college essays. It's clear in the first few pages that she is having trouble moving on from her whirlwind summer, and it's also clear that her "kind of something" with Keith is kind of nothing now.

It was great fun seeing Richard again, though Keith seemed far different than he did in the first book. I greatly enjoyed the two new main characters, Ellis and Oliver, Ellis because she is the type of girl anyone would love to be friends with and Oliver because I really wanted to figure him out. I thought some of the romance in the book was a bit heavy-handed and too obvious — there was the occasional moment when it seemed that Ginny might surprise us, but it was pretty clear who she would end up with — and I disliked how hard Johnson seemed to be trying to make Keith into a bad guy. It seemed really out-of-character for him, especially just after reading 13 Little Blue Envelopes.

This next paragraph contains a pretty big spoiler, so, you know, don't read it if you haven't read the book and want it to stay fresh.

The only other thing that really bugged me about the book was Ginny's apparent lack of any connection to her life in the States. At least in 13 Little Blue Envelopes, we see her writing to that friend occasionally. In the sequel, even though she has full access to phones and email, she doesn't seem to call anyone but Richard. She's even prepared to move entirely across the world for college because of people she's been with in person for just a few weeks, which also seems unrealistic and makes me wonder just how sad Ginny's American life is.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Little Blue Envelope.