Marcie's Reviews > The Secret

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne

1419008
Sep 30, 2008

Read in October, 2008

This book is a must read.

I am way behind the crowd on getting to this book, only because I've never read an Oprah book pick that I liked. However, this book summarizes things I've always believed. Here are some of my own beliefs that I've been telling people for years (in my own words).

All great ideas are "out there" waiting to be discovered. Whomever searches them out first claims them as their own. There is more than enough love, money, knowledge, truth and friendship out there for everyone. There's no reason to limit yourself or others.

If I am in tune with my body I know what is wrong and what it needs. My body is capable of healing itself (Jim has always rolled his eyes at this one).

If you expect (and truly believe) that your kids will do certain things (be obedient, good students, well behaved, go to college, go on missions) they will do them. The same is true for the opposite. Might as well dream big.

I chose the life I am leading. It is the life I want. If it wasn't, I would change it.

If you believe that you are okay financially and don't complain about being poor, you will be able to have everything you need and want. For several years Jim and I had a combined yearly income of 10K or less. We never felt like we didn't have every thing we needed. We never told anyone we didn't have everything we needed. While we watched (admittedly amused ) as many around us with much greater incomes constantly complained to everyone that would listen how poor they were. We never felt that way...and so we were happy and fine. I know that everyone around us still believes we have much more income than we do....because we believe, as always, that we have plenty. So we do.

If you believe that your life is mostly happy and rewarding ...then it will be mostly rewarding and happy.

I've believed for most of my life that I could eat whatever I wanted and still look like I wanted to, so I have.

I believed for the first 18 years of my life that I was the smartest person I knew. So the people around me believed this as well. It became my reality.

I could go on and on. The book just put it in different words and all in one place. I am definitely not living nearly as positive as I would like and this book was a good reminder to me of what I want to be.

One of my favorite Abraham Lincoln quotes has always been "People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be".

Many people think this book is oversimplified nonsense. I know that. Those same people would probably minimize my list of beliefs as well.
However, I'm pretty sure those are the same people that from childhood have been pessimists. Which only underscores the point yet again. Isn't it that T.V. doctor we all know that says "How's that working for you?" :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret.

08/07/2016 marked as: read

K.R. Patterson I'm so glad you liked this book! This one and The Alchemist were life-changing for me (which, by the way, I have the Alchemist back on CD if you want it). I know a lot of people think it's too corny or oversimplified or whatever, but I've also seen so many of these things happen in my life that I can't dismiss it. I think, like with bodies, I'm sure every body really is different, but they key is to fall in love with yourself--to see yourself as attractive already, and your best body will present itself. Also, I really do believe a million dollars is as easy to attract as one dollar, but I believe God's will comes into play. That's the only thing the secret doesn't fully consider, is God's will, or more accurately, his timing. Anyway, I love it. I listen to parts of it every day, just to remember to keep the vision.

message 2: by Mandie (new)

Mandie 'If you believe the best for yourself and your family, you will get it. I've always believed that Jim and I will have a great life, and so we do.'

So you're saying that people living in poverty or other terrible living conditions need only to think positively and all their problems will be solved?

'People that believe they are old and/or sick and in pain end up old and sick and in pain. They've been asking for it for years. So they get it.'

That doesn't even make sense. Ageing is inevitable. So you're saying you believe that all people who are sick with cancer, for example, have brought it on themselves through negative thinking?

Or they are people who can see that it is illogical. People can't just believe something will happen and it does.

What about people with depression? Do you believe that it is their fault? That nothing good should or can happen to them because it is their fault for thinking negative thoughts? Some people have reasons to think negatively. Not everyone has perfect lives where everything works out for them, nobody does. I believe that things happen for a reason and there has to be balance in the world. People can't and shouldn't be able to have everything they want. It isn't how things are meant to be.

Marcie I read this book (and wrote this review) two years ago and it was interesting for me to go back and read it after your comment.

I do believe (as my friend commented) that God's will comes in to play. Just because we ask for something doesn't mean that we will get it right away (or ever). What is important is that we can look back and find the glimmer of positive (however small) that came out of it all. However, I have seen in my own life many examples of postitive thinking come to fruition. Those were the examples I listed (having just read the book, these were on my mind).

I've never believed that it is helpful for me personally to list or dwell on the negative aspects of my life -or anyone elses for that matter.

I could have made an equally long list of the negative. I just don't see the point. Is that really what I want to remember about my life. Would it help me have a better day, or life? I say, no.

Of course bad things happen to good positive people. Bad things happen to everyone. It is not a matter of whether or not bad things (disease, misfortune, illness, pain, sadness) will happen to you or not -they will most definitely happen to us all. They have happened to me, I consider it a necessary part of the journey. It is whether or not we focus on them or allow them to define who we are. When we are in the trial I think we are allowed to feel mad, angry and upset. It is whether we allow that to continue once the trial has passed, or we are a better person because of the experience.

There are both kinds of people in the world. I want to try to be the first kind.

If you have ever been to a third world country I am sure you would realize they are some of the happiest people on earth. It is we, that have everything, that have the most trouble finding happiness.

I made this list for myself as a reminder of what I took from the book. I want to be my 90 year old friend who feels blessed to be alive and just started piano lessons and weight lifting classes at the gym. I don't want to be the one at home feeling bad for herselve because her body is old and she is lonely. They both are "old and sick and in pain". Some look at the bright side and make the most of it, some choose to focus on the negative.

Yes, I do believe that the second will feel more pain on a daily basis and bring upon herself a more difficult life.

Maybe you have not known someone that is constantly talking about what is wrong with them, or what they might be coming down with. I have, and they usually do end up having something wrong. I think we can attract (and create) negative feelings and poor health.

Reading over my review, I can see how it came across as uber positive. That was based on the context of the book I had just finished reading, what I chose to take from it, and how I chose to apply it to my own life and experience at the time.

I am sorry if it upset you. That was not my intent. Honestly, I wrote it for myself and did not even realize anyone other than my friends could read it.

message 4: by Nehal (new) - added it

Nehal Deshpande well do u knw reiki this will help u 2 understand this book better
.and if u dont know wat is reiki make it a search on wikipedia :)