Hannah's Reviews > Wacky Wednesday

Wacky Wednesday by J.A. Rock

Jun 17, 2012

bookshelves: ebooks-i-own, bdsm, contemporary, male-male-romance, read-2012, romance
Read on June 17, 2012

3.5 stars. Rounded up for Goodreads, because it was so much fun.

This short novel kept me smiling the whole time I was reading it. The body swap plot device is hardly new, but its execution in Wacky Wednesday is clever, heartwarming, and often laugh-out-loud funny. Less adventurous readers should be warned that this book features a domestic discipline relationship, but the BDSM elements are fairly light and fit both the characters and their relationship very well.

Both of the characters are wonderful. The story is narrated from alternating first person viewpoints, so the reader gets to spend time in both Jayk's and Amon's heads. Jayk is easy to love right from the start: he's 24 years old, bratty, hungry for affection, and struggling to make passing grades at college. Unfortunately, Jayk gets very little sympathy from his boyfriend, Amon, who is a 39-year-old HR director at a major financial firm. Amon is a little bit harder to like at first. He is so used to being in charge and carrying the weight of responsibility - both at work and in his relationship with Jayk - that he finds it impossible to understand the very different but equally valid pressures that Jayk lives with on a daily basis. Spending a day in each others' shoes is an education for both of them.

This novel is about an established couple, which is not usually my preference. My favorite romances tend to be ones in which the characters meet for the first time during the course of the book. But with this novel, the fact that the couple had already been together for a while didn't bother me. The body-swap story line really wouldn't have worked any other way. I also don't usually like flashbacks, but in this novel, Jayk's and Amon's recollections of the progress of their relationship are crucial to understanding how they got to where they are when the novel begins. Some of those recollections are really hot too, which is a definite bonus.

I definitely recommend this novel to anyone who is looking for a quick, humorous read and doesn't mind a little BDSM content. I enjoyed J.A. Rock's writing voice, and I'd be interested in reading some of her other works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wacky Wednesday.

06/17/2012
47.0% "This is really cute so far, but I'm totally miffed by the reference to home schooling as the cause of Jayk's trouble in college. I was home schooled preschool-12th grade and performed well in college. Jayk sounds like he's struggling with some mild learning disabilities, which is something else entirely."

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie I get so irritated at the negative portrayal of home schooling I find occasionally in fiction. I seldom have found a positive reference, even though the vast majority of home schooled children are very successful in college and life. :::sigh:::

Some day people may finally look on home schooling as simply another viable education option instead of something only weird, fringe type engage in. ;-)

Hannah Carrie wrote: "(Well, gotta run! Time to wash all my denim jumpers, plant my organic garden, and make the bread!)"

Lol!

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie "It did irritate me that Jayk's own excuse for his learning issues was basically "home school + West Virginia = automatic college fail." If I were from West Virginia, I'd be as offended by that assumption as I am by the negative reference to home schooling."

Well, I did live in WVA from 11 to 17, and I managed college. Both references are offensive.

Hannah Oh well. The author's little prejudices aside, it was still a really fun book.