Lisa's Reviews > Edenbrooke

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: favorites, five-stars, literary-crush, read-in-2012, read-in-2013
Read from June 03 to 04, 2012

I officially have a new boyfriend. His name is Philip and he makes my heart flutter. Of course, Philip loves Marianne, so that could be a problem. I just won't think about that.

Anyway, Edenbrooke is the most charming and delightful book I've read in quite awhile. I loved everything about it! I snorted with laughter (especially on page 32), swooned so hard my heart was literally pounding (pages 143-145 come to mind), felt like crying (page 175), and swooned all over again (pages 229-255, and most pages in between). I did not want to put the book down, it was such a fun read. I reread my favorite parts multiple times, and have the feeling that if I reread the entire book right now I'd enjoy it just as much as the first time. The descriptions of the Edenbrooke estate and the surrounding countryside were lovely, too; I could easily picture it all in my mind.

I can't wait until Julianne Donaldson publishes her next story. If her future books are anything like Edenbrooke, I'll be reading them all. And I really, really hope someone secures the movie rights to Edenbrooke! It would make a great movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Edenbrooke.

Quotes Lisa Liked

Julianne Donaldson
“To my unsuspecting love.
When I look into your eyes, I lose all sense of time and place. Reason robbed, clear thought erased, I am lost in the paradise I find within your gaze.
I long to touch your blushing cheek, to whisper in your ear how I adore you, how I have lost my heart to you, how I cannot bear the thought of living without you.
To be so near to you without touching you is agony. Your blindness to my feelings is a daily torment, and I feel driven to the edge of madness by my love for you.
Where is your compassion when I need it most? Open your eyes , Love, and see what is right before you: that I am not merely a friend, but a man deeply, desperately , in love with you.
Longing for you.”
Julianne Donaldson, Edenbrooke

06/04/2012 page 58
24.0% "So cute already! I've laughed out loud a few times. :)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kara Ooh, I am way excited for this one! I'm 2 of 3 at the library so hopefully soon. I'll be interested to see how you like it...

Lisa I'm only on page 58, but I've already snorted with laughter. It's a cute story so far.

Kara I am even more excited to read this one now! You only give 5s to the really good ones and you finished it super fast so it must be awesome. :) Can't wait!

Lisa Do you want to borrow it? It's due back to the library on Saturday, but I'm sure you could finish it by then. ;)

Kara Yes please! Now that I know it's really good I am much more anxious to read it. :) Thanks!

Kira I just bought this from Amazon since you were so in love with it. Hopefully I enjoy it.

Lisa I hope you enjoy it, too!

Melody oh man! I just read those "swooned so hard" pages and I definitely agree! I was also thinking it would make an excellent movie. I'm so tired right now, but I want to keep reading!

Lisa I know what you mean...I didn't want to put the book down, it was so great! Enjoy!

Camille My library doesn't have this.. :(

message 11: by Kira (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kira I'd let you borrow mine (once I get it back from Beth) but you sort of live far away now. :(

message 12: by Kira (new) - rated it 5 stars

Camille It's fine. I ended up just buying it for my Kindle instead.

Camille I wish I knew what happened on these pages.. so that I could agree. The Kindle doesn't tell me what "page" I'm on.

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I'm sure you can figure it out! ;)

The laughing was from the milk maid song.

The swooning was when Philip was teaching Marianne to write a love letter.

I think the crying was when Marianne wrote a letter to her dad, but I could be wrong. I don't have the book.

Camille Ahhh, yes. Agreed on all of them.

Brendi I was doing the same thing Lisa, such a good book. I couldn't put it down!