Lindsay's Reviews > May B.

May B. by Caroline Starr Rose

7192365
May B. is about a young girl, Mavis Betterly, living on the frontier in Kansas. Because money in her family is tight, May is forced to quit school and go to help out a new young wife fifteen miles away, but, something happens (I'll let you read it), and she is left all alone for several months. During that time, she faces hunger and loneliness and frustration with her inability to read (she has dyslexia). The entire story is told in verse, and I found that it was really effective in gripping me into May's lonely world. I was very impressed with the story's quietness and strength.

In the author's note, the author writes, "When I became a teacher, I grew curious about what life must have been like for frontier children who found schooling a challenge." May B.'s story offers a glimpse into how this must have been like. The author also provides the reader with a little information about dyslexia, as well as some information about school life during the 19th century. For a librarian with a degree in history, you can see how I would be very interested in this novel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read May B..