Kari Anderson's Reviews > Big Sky Country

Big Sky Country by Linda Lael Miller

Jun 17, 2012

Read from June 03 to 11, 2012

From Goodreads.com:
The illegitimate son of a wealthy rancher, Sheriff Slade Barlow grew up in a trailer hitched to the Curly-Burly hair salon his mother runs. He was never acknowledged by his father-until now. Suddenly, Slade has inherited half of Whisper Creek Ranch, one of the most prosperous in Parable, Montana. That doesn’t sit well with his half brother, Hutch, who grew up with all the rights of a Carmody. Including the affections of Joslyn Kirk, homecoming queen, rodeo queen, beauty queen-whom Slade has never forgotten But Joslyn is barely holding her head up these days as she works to pay back everyone her crooked stepfather cheated. With a town to protect-plus a rebellious teenage stepdaughter-Slade has his hands full. But someone has to convince Joslyn that she’s responsible only for her own actions. Such as her effect on this lawman’s guarded heart.

Every time I read a Linda Lael Miller book, I want to pack up, get on my boots and head out west. I have absolutely no experience on the ranch. I’ve always thought it would be a fulfilling job, but am way too girly and gag way too much to work or live on a farm. But it’s nice to read about them.

This is the first in the Parable, Montana series. One thing I loved about this book, knowing that it was a series before I started, was that I was introduced to a few characters that I know will be the focus of the upoming books. You see a few sparks and hope they will be the next ones to fall in love.

Linda is the queen of wdoes such a phenomenal job of bringing to life heart throb male characters. Slade Barlow is to die for! Who doesn’t love a hard working sheriff who wants to run a ranch and is gorgeous? Not to mention his half brother, who is a bit of a tough guy.

I thought this book moved a little slow, but I think it did a great job of setting up what is to come and I’ve heard nothing but great things about the rest of the series. I cannot wait to get my hands on them and review them in the next couple of months.

I give Big Sky Country 3.5 out of 5 bookmarks, with room for the others to grow

Amazon B&N Goodreads
Released: May 29, 2012
Author Website
Blog Tour

Excerpt:

“Well, this is a surprise,” she said, setting aside the broom and dusting her hands together. Her expression was warm, as always, but her gray eyes showed puzzlement bordering on concern. She knew Slade took his job seriously, and it wasn’t like him to drop in during working hours. “Is the country running itself these days?”

“My deputies are holding down the fort,” Slade answered. “Is the coffee on?”

He knew it was; he could smell the rich aroma wafting through the open doorway, along with tinges of industrial-strength shampoo and a variety of mysterious hair-bending chemicals.

“Sure,” Callie responded, stepping back so he could come inside the shop. “That’s about the first thing I do every morning—plug in the coffeepot.” The faintest ghost of a frown lingered in her eyes, and then her natural bluntness broke through. “What’s wrong?” she asked.

Slade sighed, took off his hat and set it aside on the counter next to Callie’s cash register. “I don’t know if wrong is the word for it,” he said.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Sky Country.

06/05/2012 page 84