Judy King's Reviews > Girlchild

Girlchild by Tupelo Hassman

Jun 03, 12

Read on June 03, 2012

I've given this book 5 stars, but I can't honestly say I LIKED it. I'm very glad I read it. The characters will stay with me a very long time, but this was a very difficult story to read. I came to love the little girl who was struggling so hard to end up normal in spite of her upbringing and life and background. while She declares herself the feeble minded daughter of a feeble minded daughter of a feeble minded family, this is a very bright and astute little girl. She manages to carve her own way toward the end of generations living in substandard housing while waiting tables, bar tending or running Keno by checking out the Girl Scout handbook from the school library -- until the librarian gives her the bedraggled book. The short chapters are intertwined with excerpts from the handbook, from the social worker's journal recording the history of the family and other bits and pieces of family information.

I highly recommend the book -- it's so well written, but so difficult to view this life though the eyes of this tough little girl.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girlchild.