Julie's Reviews > Arranged

Arranged by Catherine McKenzie

Jun 03, 12

Read on June 03, 2012

This book surprised me, and that's always a good thing. Initially I was intrigued by the concept of the plot, which is why I bought it. I mean, arranged marriage? Really? Would an average girl or guy really do that today?

It started off kind of slow, and I wasn't sure I liked the heroine at all. She seemed shallow. But, I ended up gobbling up the book in one sitting (which is practically unheard of for me). I think I enjoyed it so much because I wasn't sure who to root for or how I wanted things to end. When it comes down to it, you know exactly how it's supposed to go, and it doesn't disappoint.

The book sort of felt like Bridget Jones' Diary crossed with How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, two of my favorite romantic comedy movies, so if you enjoy those, I think you'd like this.

Writing-wise, I think Catherine McKenzie has a real feel for dialog. It's not perfect, but it feels natural for her modern characters. Actually the style reminded me of Hemingway, dialog-wise, in that there would just be a page of dialog with no he said/she saids. Maybe McKenzie admires him, because I'd almost swear she had a "Hills Like White Elephants" reference thrown in there once, too.

One final odd note, the book is about 400 pages, but those pages are short. They've got like 1 inch margins on all sides. Not sure why they decided to do that.... or maybe I'm just used to mass markets and kindle books these days and I've forgotten what trade paperbacks look like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arranged.