George's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Jun 03, 2012

bookshelves: book-club, ipad
Read from February 02 to 07, 2013

A DEEPLY LAYERED PAGE-TURNER.

“There is something deeply unhealthy about this book; it’s in the characters, in the story, in the relationships, in the sex, and just in the general mood of the novel.”—from ‘Emily’s’ goodreads.com review of ‘Sharp Objects.’ by Gillian Flynn.

Although the quote above is about another novel by Gillian Flynn, one I suspect might be somewhat darker even than this one, much of it still applies. I don’t like dark tales; but this one has me thinking that maybe I should.

Once you get through, if you can get through, the minefield of inanities that are the first eighty or so pages…

“…he wears his cockiness like an ironic T-shirt, but it fits him better.”—page 24

“His eyelashes are trimmed with [confectioners’ sugar] powder, and before he leans in, he brushes the sugar from my lips so he can taste me.”—page 26

“We were born in the ‘70s, back when twins were rare, a bit magical: cousins of the unicorn, siblings of the elves.”—page 27

“She blew more smoke toward me, a lazy game of cancer catch.”—page 30

“In my belly-basement are hundreds of bottles of rage, despair, fear, but you’d never guess from looking at me.”—page 52

“…they were three advanced people with three advanced degrees in psychology—they thought more before nine A.M. than most people thought all month.”—page 80

‘Gone Girl: a Novel,’ by Gillian Flynn, magically becomes a progressively deeply layered, suspenseful, page-turner of a read. Some of the reviews I’ve read didn’t like the ending, but I did.

Recommendation: This is a fast, fun and suspenseful (albeit at times raunchy) read. Especially suited for the disturbed, or those who’d like to be.

“There were a million men who would have loved, honored, and obeyed Amy and considered themselves lucky to do so. Men capable of being uxorious.”—page 443

“He is learning to love me unconditionally, under all my conditions.”—page 464

Barnes and Noble NOOKbook editions, 489 pages

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

05/29/2016 marked as: read

Nancy Brady It is on our library book group list. Don't know if I can make myself wait that long especially now that I've read your review. I guess that puts me in the disturbed category (you might have already suspected that anyhow).

George Nancy,

Reading 'Gone Girl' was a guilty pleasure for me. I enjoyed it far more than I should have. And, yes, I did think that it would be a tale that you might enjoy, too. Do struggle through the first 80 or so 'dumb, pages, though. The story does get so very much better.

I'm not sure just who (whom) I had in mind when I wrote that "especially for the disturbed" comment--sure hope it doesn't offend the lady who recommended 'Gone Girl' to our book club--but I did know that the book was already on your to-read list when I wrote it--and if the shoe doth fit, etc. After posting my review--it's alway AFTER, I encountered the word I really wanted: macabre. Failing that,

George ...'disturbing' and 'raunchy' will do. George

Nancy Brady Actually, it was recommended by a lady whom I've come to trust with book recommendations. She is a newer member of the group, but very astute in her observations, book-wise. She even made me see some redeeming value to Franzen's Freedom although I still thought that it was overrated and could have been about 250-400 pages shorter. Based on what you say about it, I can already guess who will like it and who won't of the group. It is sad that I have figured out the reading preferences of the different members of this group. However, just as I have learned to read "out of my comfort zone", it is fun to see others do the same.

Nancy Brady Well, since it is the book for January, I thought I would finally read it. Unfortunately, I will miss the meeting because of a trip we have planned. I would so love to hear the group opinions on this one. On the other hand, looking forward to experiencing the land of the Kiwis and seeing my older son on the way out. He returns to the States in a week or so.

George Nancy, I hope you enjoy this read—if you can wade through the silliness of the first 80 or so pages. More, especially, enjoy your trip. Post photos on FB.

Nancy Brady Will do, on all counts.

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Cheney George, loved your review. Sounds Fifty Shades of Grey-ish. Mind telling me how it ends? The trailer for the movie is very well done. Looks like she drowns?

George Cynthia,

I'm very glad that you liked my review of Gone Girl. As a Fifty Shades of Gray-moron, though—and likely I stay so—I don't know if there are any similarities between the two stories.

I don't quite remember just how this book ended, or what about it I particularly liked—except perhaps for the wide potential for a sequel.

In an effort to refresh my memory I just re-read the last half-dozen pages, and it seems to end with the delusional schmuck, husband Nick Dunne—"Now at last I'm the hero. I am the one to root for in the never-ending war story of our marriage. It's a story I can live with. Hell, at this point, I can't imagine my story without Amy. She is my forever antagonist."—still the puppet, never the puppeteer. And the delightfully despicable/irresistible psychopath, wife Amy Elliot Dunne, still in control as the—now purposefully, albeit not conventionally, pregnant—puppeteer (with the deserved last word.). It must be love.

Amy does not drown (in the book, at least). That would almost certainly squelch a sequel.

I just saw the preview of the movie for the first time, yesterday. It looks quite awesome. Now I can't wait for the October 3 release date. This is a story I shouldn't like—but it's so very clever.

Yours for continued good reading,

George

message 10: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Cheney I have been intrigued by that trailer. Not terribly interested in reading about two psychopaths. Thank you so much for revealing the ending. Reviewed your listing of 1,000 books - did not see Fifty Shades. Saw your love of My Life As An Autodidact - which is how we became friendly. Your review of Garp - a woeful waste of words - one of my favorites. Your love of Mitchener

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Cheney Rand, Robbins. How The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was a better movie than book. Your list made for great reading. I will read This Is Where I Leave You next bc of your glowing review.

With respect to Gone Girl I look forward to seeing it for free on Netflix one day. Since you enjoy movies and hopefully get Netflix, I would highly recommend two foreign films made within the last few years. Intouchables (French) & Headhunters (Norweiigan).

Thank you again for taking the time to ruminate on the ending. I always enjoy knowing the ending - and it does not in any way lessen my enjoyment. CC

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Cheney My last word can't be incorrectly spelled - Norwegian