Mitchel Broussard's Reviews > A Clash of Kings

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

Jun 03, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal-and-supernatural, mind-equals-blown
Read from June 03 to July 20, 2012

I don't think I've ever encountered a fictional world so full of moral blind spots and gray areas than in Westeros. And I'm in f*cking love with it because of that.

The shifting perspectives per chapter never feels gimmicky or useless. You get the feeling when you read this series that each moment, each piece of dialogue and each thought means something. There are never any throwaway chapters, never nothing that doesn't pertain to the overall arc of the series. You may think they are early on in the book (*coughTheoncough*), but Martin always has a twist up his sleeve to prove to you that even annoying psychopaths have a narrative purpose.

You get the feeling that he's known where he's going with this from the opening line of book one, and who will all live and die to see it by the time the series is done. It gives you a sense of confidence in the author as you read. As if that, in someone else's hands, the dozens of protagonists, locations, and sheer scale of the thing could have fallen apart at the seams. Like you're safe as you read it, all snuggled up in the insane, twisty plot.

Which is ironic, being that most of those characters themselves are in constant threat of being beheaded, their heads stuck on spikes for all the realm to see.

I would pay the iron price for some sort of anomaly in time and space to bring me every book from the future so I can just sit down and read how it all ends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clash of Kings.

06/03/2012 page 22
3.0% "Okay, I can't wait anymore. I'm terrified of finding Season 2 spoilers online so's I needa get to reading this so I can watch!"
06/03/2012 page 22
06/30/2012 page 404
53.0% "Read by the pool today. Ahhhh, summer."
07/18/2012 page 602
79.0% "I, literally, have no words for my current location in this book. Speechless. Utterly speechless. And sad. Like, going-cry-myself-to-sleep-now-thanks-mister-Martin sad." 1 comment
show 3 hidden updates…

Michael How well does the first season stick to the first book? (Well, assuming you've watched it 。◕‿◕。) I just finished it the other day and am forcing myself not to watch the second season until I read the first two books.

Mitchel Broussard Oh, you're fine for season 1. Literally ends on the same exact note as the first book, almost word for word.

I'm anxious for book two, though. I've heard there may be crossovers from book three in season two, so I'm like, wait, I gotta read two AND three to be safe??

But I'm not sure. I have a uberfan friend who I plan on asking because I trust not to spoil anything.

StoryTellerShannon Wait until you read ASOS!