Liz's Reviews > Kaffir Boy: The True Story of a Black Youth's Coming of Age in Apartheid South Africa

Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane

F_50x66
Dec 03, 13

Wow-this is an eye opening book. Mark Mathabane writes of his life as a Black boy in South Africa during Apartheid. I had no idea what went on during that era (and sadly some of what went on then, is probably still happening now). i found this book listed on a list of books that people want to ban...which means that I should probably read them. After reading it, I'm not sure why anyone would want to ban it. I think everyone should read it. It is HISTORY and a reality that perhaps we don't want to face, but should.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kaffir Boy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie This sounds great - I put it on my (ever-growing) list!
Thanks for the update.
Can't wait to see you next week. Have you gotten ahold of anyone else?

Devika Koppikar I read it - and it was amazing! Now, I'm reading the next in his series. About banning this book - I read that some people had issues with the near-sodomy incident he faced in the first part of the story. I think that’s too bad because, first of all, this is reality – it happens, so people should know about it. Second, Mark ran away from it and did not endorse it. This is a scary situation he faced.
My guess about this book being banned is, perhaps it was the Afrikaners, who don’t want the world to know what really happened under apartheid. However, I’m glad Mathabane published this. It opened my eyes as well.

L13F_Veronica Not sure why someone would want to ban this book it speaks of truth in the most pure form. Their living conditions were those below an animal, horrifying!!! This book was definitely one that's meant to grab your attention...a call to action.