Brittany's Reviews > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: collections, life-fiction, thriller-mysteries, pop-culture
Read in July, 2012

*spoilers ahead*

The final book in any series is always difficult for me to process, simply because it seems more final to part with characters after multiple books rather than just one.

It was definitely interesting to see a different side of Salander. Since she was in the hospital, she obviously couldn't be quite as pro-active about the situation as she was previously.

It's funny to think of how abnormal most people consider her to be (and clearly she isn't average) when you begin to see how far so many people are willing to go in order to help her- Dragan, Blomkvist, Modig, the hackers, even Berger.

Speaking of Berger, it was nice to see a different side of her. In the first two books she seemed to mainly be just a stock character who was attached to Michael. In Hornet's, we see her as an individual- in a different work environment, inside her marriage, and in relation to other women. Seeing the relationship between her and Blomkvist through her eyes versus his shone a completely different light on the complex interaction between them.

In general this book seemed more focused on women- previously it has seemed to be equal between Salander and Blomkvist (mainly because one was always working on something with the other one). In this book, Salander and Blomkvist are both working for Salander. Even though Blomkvist does get his story out, he maintains throughout that his main purpose is justification for Salander- justification *through* the media rather than the story being the main draw. In addition to the obvious Salander there is Berger's side story, as well as Figuerola (sp?), Linder, and Modig. Since the beginning the underlying theme has violence against women; in this book we truly see the different ways that women fight back.

I didn't really feel that Figuerola's attraction for Blomkvist was that believable- it seemed remarkably fast and just odd. She made a big deal about knowing about him & Berger yet seemed to feel like it was all or nothing with him, if she knew the deal going in she should have been a lot calmer about the whole thing.

The ending with Blomkvist and Salander seemed...lacking. I guess that was the point, however. To have them simply be.

I did *really* enjoy the way Salander had to be told about her responsibilities as a citizen. Her status as mentally incompetent has been such a controversy that it was good to see her shook up about the full impact of it being revoked.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.