Angela Fristoe's Reviews > Hell's Game

Sep 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: ya-books
Read from June 03 to 10, 2012

Hell's Game is an intense book that examines four friends as they battle Hell for their souls. This book took some really unexpected turns and once the game got going, I couldn't put it down.

When the four characters were first introduced, they were set up pretty clearly. It was easy to point out the mean, the weak, the sidekick, and the jock, and I thought from there that the rest of the story would be predictable. Boy was I wrong. Not one of my predictions was right. Hell's Game is about challenging each of their characters, making them face their worst fears, and push past the traits that have held them back. And this is what made the story so unpredictable.

The game itself was really well developed. The levels of the game were influenced by the characters personalities and backgrounds, and they really challenged the beliefs and values of each character. Each level was a detailed picture of hell, and I loved that the rules of each level depended on how the character responded to it.

There was an issue with the editing in this book and it occasionally pulled me out from the story as name swaps and missing words caused me to be confused at times. I think it would definitely benefit from another round of edits.

This is a good choice if you're looking for a bit of a scare, especially around Halloween.

Check out more of my reviews on my blog Turning the Pages

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hell's Game.