Patti from Charlotte's Reviews > The Buddha in the Attic

The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka

F 50x66
Jun 06, 12

Read from June 03 to 06, 2012

A superficial comparison of length with "War and Peace" would lead one to feel that Julie Otsuka’s "The Buddah in the Attic" would present a quick and easy read. At only 90+ pages, its actual reading value is much deeper than that. It tells not just one simple tale of the thousands of Japanese immigrants to 1940’s America, but also interweaves dozens of voices representing the many who came to our shores for "the good life." Over the course of this intense book, the reader deserves to take many breaks to savor the tale artfully written by both series of parallel sentences and short narrative excerpts of these precious lives. This novel subtly draws the reader in with its many voices before switching abruptly to the lens of the American’s as the Japanese suddenly disappear... as do their stories. With our increasing and over-due realization that the Civil Rights of many have been stomped on during this country's evolution as a nation, "The Buddah in the Attic" brings to our awareness the Japanese people who have faced horrific struggles of their own as they joined the quilted fabric of American Twentieth Century society.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Buddha in the Attic.