Eve's Reviews > The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them

The Highly Sensitive Child by Elaine N. Aron

Jun 28, 12

bookshelves: parenting
Read from June 09 to 29, 2012, read count: 1

Four-word review: Are you kidding me?

Now, the longer version...

My daughter is an 'HSC,' or Highly Sensitive Child. We knew that from the time she was two days old and wouldn't let me put her down so I could go to the bathroom in the hospital; when I called the nurses' station for help, they commented that they'd already noticed her clinginess in the nursery. Fast-forward four and a half years, and my girl complains about bright lights and loud noises, can spot a balloon stuck in a tree half a mile away and has trouble in crowds—but she's also creative and has a well-developed sense of humor. I get it—that was me, too.

But with that comes stubbornness. How do I socialize her? Discipline her? Make her feel like she fits in? Dr. Aron spends a significant portion of the book telling us how wonderful and unique (well, one in five) our HSCs are, but then she's all over the board for the rest. Not only did I not get the information I was looking for, almost at the end of the book did she throw out the 'creative' idea of bringing your HSC and the class bully together for social reasons so they could learn to understand each other. Nice one... Had she mentioned that in the first couple of chapters, I could have saved myself the trouble of plodding through, looking for answers that never were to be revealed. But then, maybe I'm just being too sensitive. Two stars.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Highly Sensitive Child.

06/09/2012 page 21

Janie Have you found more helpful answers elsewhere? I'm hungry for info/strategies.

message 2: by Eve (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eve Janie, I've since read Mary Sheedy Kurcinka's books. They're all excellent and can be applied to children of all temperments. Her books on so-called 'spirited' children go into depth on sensitive kids. Indispensable.

Hope this helps.

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Moran Thank you for posting this review! I was afraid this would be the case with this book. I already know my daughter is highly sensitive and I already know that it makes her special, blah blah blah. I need realistic strategy, not patronizing. I'm a hyper sensitive adult, and the two of us together seems to be increasingly explosive. It's been 2 years since you posted this, just wondering if you've come across anything besides the above mentioned Mary Sheedy Kurcinka's books that have helped.

message 4: by Eve (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eve Alicia, I'm so glad you wrote—we're running into a bit of that ourselves! (My daughter will be 7 in December.) Your post reminded me that I need to pull out 'Between Parent and Child' by Haim Ginott. It has some strategies to help both of you calm down and defuse explosive situations. It was written in the late '60s and so can be a bit dated in parts, but I wish my parents had read it too. Good luck, and keep me posted!

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Moran Thanks! My daughter will be 7 in January :) We homeschool, which means we are ALWAYS together, but learning also seems to be one of her highest triggers. So...interesting times for sure.

I just ordered "Raising Your Spirited Child". Can't wait to read it. I"ll look into Ginott's as well.