Handd51's Reviews > The Buddha in the Attic

F_50x66
Jun 03, 12

bookshelves: adult-reads
Read in June, 2012

I don't know when I picked this up, and it isn't at all what I expected - but golly, it is beautifully written. It is the story of the Japanese women who came to the US as mail order brides in the early 20th century. It is not a novel in the usual sense, but a recitation of the many experiences and the various stages of life they survived. The plot is really to watch Everwoman leave home, survive (or not) the voyage, meet her intended and realize how unrealiztic those letters of invitation had been, survive the various curves life continued to throw her way including the life of migrant labor, the unfriendliness of Americans (almost all), children with inadequate medical care, and all the rest. It is insightful, fascinating and gut-wrenching even as it reads fast and light. I recommend it to all my writing friends as an outstanding example of innovative use of point-of-view, and an elegant work. I recommend it to everyone else as a remarkable read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Buddha in the Attic.