Simone's Reviews > Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History

Breasts by Florence   Williams

Jun 03, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-read
Read from June 03 to 06, 2012

First, let me say that I highly recommend this book to anyone with a pair of breasts. Seriously. It made me think about mine in a whole new way. I heard about the book on NPR, and I wanted a copy just about as soon as it was released. This book is in much the same style as Mary Roarch books, lots of science information but presented with humor, interviews with scientists and anecdotes. The book initially starts with an evolutionary biology perspective, and throughout she is most interested in breasts through that sort of form and function lens.

She talks a little about why we might have breasts (for all my thinking about how breasts are represented culturally I never thought about the fact that humans are the only mammals with breasts, per say - all other mammals nurse, but none have lifetime breasts like we do) why they might be shaped as they are, puberty, breast implants and lactation and breast feeding. I can't explain how many times she would point things out that I had never thought about before. It's also astonishing how little scientific work is dedicated to understanding breasts. As one of the doctors she talks to points out, it's the only major organ without a medical speciality.

Again, a lovely, fascinating and funny read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breasts.