Gina's Reviews > Bloodfever

Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning

Sep 30, 08

bookshelves: own, fantasy, erotic, mystery, paranormal-supernatural, romantic-suspense, suspense
Read in September, 2008

No longer the spoiled rich girl.

MacKayla has more questions than answers. And every time she asks questions, some are ignored, evaded, or answered, but not directly. Mac is getting frustrated. She doesn’t know who to trust, unsure of where to turn. She wants answers desperately and is doing anything she can to find them.

Fiona purposely closes all the lights and opens a window, hoping the shades will get rid of Mac once and for all. Inspector O’Duffy manages to track her down and begins asking questions about things not quite right, things Mac already knows (in Darkfever). However, not long afterwards, she’s brought in for questionning. Seems O’Duffy was murdered and Mac is the prime suspect. Inspector Jayne, O’Duffy’s brother-in-law, doesn’t like Mac and sticks to her like glue. On top of everything, her father’s come to Ireland to bring her home. She’ll send him back - but she’s not going anywhere. She finds out that there are other sidhe-seers in Ireland, but so far not one of them has done a thing to earn her trust.

And just when things get hairy, someone comes for her, someone she though dead. But the cuff that acts as a tracking device that Barrons had put around her arm so that he can find her has been removed. Will Barrons find her in time?

I found I liked Mac much more in this one than in Darkfever. The spoiled rich girl act was driving me nuts. In this one, she’s grown up quite a bit and is learning more and more. Barrons is just as secretive and mysterious as in Darkfever, and the electricity, the sexual tension between them adds spark to the story. Lots of action, questions answered only to have more questions, new things learned, old things revisited.

We learn what Barrons isn’t, but again, more questions arise. Who is he? What is he? The Lord Master pops in, and when he commands, Mac’s body obeys, no matter how hard she tries to stop it. But the second that Barrons yells that Mac stays with him, the Lord Master takes one look at him and leaves, leaving Mac with Barrons. So, question is - who is Barrons? What is he? Why is he so desperate to use Mac to find the Sinsar Dubh, let alone any other artifacts of the Fae? And just the thought of her being with another man rubs him raw, but yet he pushes her away. Why?

And with yet another cliffhanger ending, we wait for Faefever. While most won’t have to wait long (hardcover released September 16th), I’ll be waiting. Can’t afford to buy hardcovers. A year is going to be a long wait with that last cliffhanger. And with all those questions still unresolved, you can bet I’ll be at the bookstore bright and early when the MMP is released. I’m not usually one for cliffhanger endings and unanswered questions, but the way Moning writes is perfect - it makes me come back for more. I love the banter, the tension, between Mac and Barrons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodfever.