Erin's Reviews > Good Dog, Carl

Sep 29, 08

bookshelves: lis565

Category: Picture Book, Wordless
Audience: Ages 4-8
Brief Description: Carl, the family dog, is left to watch over the baby while mom runs errands.

This was a very adorable book. Once the mom leaves to run her errands, Carl shepherds the baby around the house. They get into all sorts of mischief, but never anything dangerous. The concerns I have for the story may not seem realistic as the child absorbing the book and the parent introducing the book to the child would never really do. I would hope that a parent would not leave their baby alone in the home while they ran errands, no matter how short the trip. However, the stories heart lies in the way Carl takes care of the baby and the shared love a person can have for their child and their family pet. Sarah Boxer of the New York Times seems to not be a fan of Carl as she says, “plot is nothing more than movement through space,” and she goes on to suggest wordless alternatives that she likes better, The Adventures of Polo, Museum Trip, and Oops.” While Barnes and Noble’s review is much more favorable, “The exquisite illustrations […] will have readers of all ages gleefully cheering Carl and baby.” Neither review offers much information, but would intrigue me as to pick up the book and judge for myself.
Boxer, Sarah. (2006). Moving Experiences. [Review of the book Good Dog, Carl]. New York Times.
Good Dog, Carl Review. Barnes & Noble. Retrieved October 2, 2008 from

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Dog, Carl.