Splendy's Reviews > Learning to Love You More

Learning to Love You More by Harrell Fletcher

Jun 03, 12

This is my favorite book about a project. It's a collection of authentic, inspired art from everyday people.

Some people call this method of collective creation "crowdsourcing," but that term seems too technical to me. I call it "community art." Projects like this create a space and a reason for people to express themselves, practice creativity and garner a shared experience. Experience is primary and the product, though often sublime, is secondary. Learning to Love You More is the result of people participating in something larger than themselves, and because of that, you see the beauty in the whole as well as the sum of its parts.

The assignments that inspired the book's content originally lived online, but required the artist to go offline to participate and collaborate and then return back to share that experience. The internet, although fascinating, is unfortunately instilling in us a passive nature. We're trained to inactively consume, sitting stagnantly reading for hours and never doing much besides hitting a "like" button or posting a comment. We need more opportunities to resist that conditioning, and practice using the information that we so readily access to do something. Learning to Love You More provides that opportunity.

In 2010 the project's website was acquired by the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, ensuring that Learning to Love You More will continue to exist online as an archive of the project. Thank you, SF MoMA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Learning to Love You More.