Bmj2k's Reviews > More Stories About Spaceships and Cancer

More Stories About Spaceships and Cancer by Casper Kelly

Jul 02, 12

Read from June 26 to July 01, 2012

Do you like stories about spaceships and cancer but wish there were more stories about spaceships and cancer? For too long the cancer and spaceship demographic has been underserved, but fortunately Casper Kelly has stepped in and filled a long neglected need.

But seriously, More Stories About Spaceships and Cancer is not for everyone. And that's a good thing. The world needs people who read the fine print on white bread packages or breathlessly await the next sparkly teen-angsty vampire novel, despite their being over 35 years old and well-past the point where they should be breathlessly awaiting such things or-

You get the idea.

More Stories About Spaceships and Cancer is a collection of more-or-less related short stories. At first glance, sure, the conflicted duck who is in charge of a firing squad and his friend who bears more than a passing resemblance to a gorilla may seem off-putting, but stick with it. This book is not only funny, it is insightful. While it may not give you the answers you are looking for, it is a strangely accurate (and at times poignant) look at human nature as filtered through the fantasies of a man who dreams he is the last man on Earth, a great-great-great-grandfather who has lived long past his prime, and a family under assault by killer axe-waving ATM machines, among others.

There are B-movie horror hosts to guide you (a skeleton, a werewolf, and a sort-of killer undead chick) but each of them has their own problems too. Poor Professor Badbones, for example, who loses his hosting gig less than halfway through the book. You'll read about large breasted ninjas, brains living in virtual reality worlds (ok, that's the same story) a man who desperately wants to make a hat for a king, and even some characters with whom you will relate.

The stories are all interesting and at times laugh-out-loud funny. (That's LOL for the teens out there.) I said that this book is not for everyone and I mean that. But Casper Kelly has a nice body of work, take a second, look it up, I'll wait, it's in his Goodreads bio, and if anything there has made you laugh- Harvey Birdman, or especially my favorite, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, then this is the book for you. Or perhaps I should say that you are it for the book, because this is a book (and author, it didn't write itself) that demands a following. I'm ready for the sequel, Even More Stories About Spaceships and Cancer.

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More Stories About Spaceships and Cancer.

06/27/2012 page 35

message 1: by Anam (new)

Anam First of all I am confused did you actually finish this story or what? The timeline says a page and such. Ok, I am going to correct you about LOL; its not for teenagers but for texting and im shortcuts. ShEEESH!

Bmj2k Yes I finished it and marked it as read.