Waller's Reviews > The London Eye Mystery

The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd

Sep 29, 08

Is it just me, or does this read like a slightly warmed-over *Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime*. The disappearance of a kid from a closed capsule on the London Eye is an intriguing mystery, but the only possible solutions pretty quickly close down to two, and the solving of the mystery seemed slightly anticlimactic. The novel also violates a principle that would have adult mystery fans howling - the key clue to the mystery is not available to the reader.

Most crucially, though, is the presentation of what appears to be Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism. Much is made in the first few pages of the protagonist's inability to understand metaphorical language - but then he consistently deploys his own metaphors throughout the story, while occasionally relapsing to express confusion at "normal" people's use of figurative language. You can't have it both ways - if he is too literal minded to understand metaphors, he is too literal minded to create original metaphors; if he cannot understand the way that other people think, he cannot imaginatively put himself into other's places. And yet, he does.

It's still a good read, but it would be superior with a little more consistency in depicting the kid's character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The London Eye Mystery.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (last edited Sep 30, 2008 02:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Monica Edinger It felt flat to me too. There was something about the solving of the mystery that didn't work for me and you helped me to understand why.

There were some nice elements and scenes (I vaguely remember some especially nice ones with the father), but overall it just didn't work for me as it seems to have for others.

Allie Casey I agree that Ted is too literal minded to create original metaphors. Yet he does do that, that's true. But I slightly disagree about the book being good because it's too serious.

LuAnn I read this very carefully as I may use it for a middle school lit class and all the clues that Ted cited at the end were there for the reader. I went back through and checked.