Per Gunnar's Reviews > With the Lightnings

With the Lightnings by David Drake

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: military, science-fiction
Read from June 03 to 04, 2012 — I own a copy

What a load of crap! I’m wondering if I read the same book as those other people giving it 4 and 5 stars. The first third (at least) is downright boring. A good chunk of the book is dedicated to binge drinking, disorderly behavior and vomiting. That includes the “hero”. The rest is not much better. When they are not drinking themselves senseless it’s mostly politics. The behavior of the navy personnel, including the officers, is so utterly non-professional that it’s unbelievable.

There’s a ship in space decorating the cover image. They also talk about “invasion fleet” in the book burb. There’s no fleet action whatsoever in this book. As a matter of fact, there’s almost no ship action at all except for a little show in the very end.

The technology is ridiculous. I should perhaps have become suspicious when I saw that the ship on the cover image had masts and sails like an ordinary ocean clipper. “Sponge space”? What the f…?

I was hoping this could become a new interesting series to read but now I don’t think so. I might (try to) read a second one just to see if they get any better but my hopes are not very high any more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With the Lightnings.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ridouan I've tried to read it 3 times. I managed as much as 50 pages even in one the sessions, but as you said, once a book starts talking about masts and sponge space in correlation to space travel, it's time to put the book down and find something else to waste time on... Your review is spot on...

Christine humm, yeah but did you read beyond that?

Jason Zavoda No, you didn't read the same book as everyone else. You have been cursed to have Maxwell's demons rearrange each word as you come to it leaving you only disillusioned and disappointed with a charming and entertaining homage to Horatio Hornblower.