Nicola Mansfield's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Jun 03, 2012

liked it
Read in June, 2012

Reason for Reading: I enjoy survival-at-sea stories and this immediately brought to my mind both the Titanic and the Alfred Hitchcock movie of the same name.

I enjoyed this book. It is short and a quick read and yet I found it didn't live up to my expectations or perhaps its full potential. I found the plot very predictable and kept waiting for a twist or shock to come into play but every time anything of consequence happened it was already something I expected to happen. I kept reading though because I couldn't believe that was all there was to the story and that some startling reveal was going to made at any point, but it failed to come. The story followed its expected outcome and ended quietly on that note.

As stated I did enjoy the story; it is an interesting study in personalities when they are confined together in peril and how they will react. Grace herself, I found to be an unlikeable character from the beginning. She is rather cold and calculating in her motives even before the shipwreck. She is an unreliable narrator and yet her true character easily shows through which is one point which makes the book so predictable. I haven't read any other reviews of this book yet but I have a feeling that this is a book some people will absolutely love, while others not so.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.