Eric Burleson's Reviews > Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power

Drift by Rachel Maddow

M 50x66
Jun 03, 12

This who know me would be surprised to find I liked this book as much as I did, because on many issues my politics diverge widely from Miss Maddow's. This book, however, echoed so many sentiments I've heard from my fellow soldiers, my family and friends, and even myself. we have constantly wondered why so many contractors are handling jobs for which we already have soldiers, and why "war bonds" or the draft are no longer used to make sure that people are engaged and committed to our national conflicts. A case in point is that recently I met a student at a university who, upon learning I was a soldier, commented "Wow, I've never met a real soldier before. I know that there's a war and everything, but it hasn't ever been anything I've really thought about. It's just so far away from my life, you know?"
I particularly enjoyed how well she described history, developed background, and then made her arguments. I've read many others who seem to think that by rewriting history in the context of their arguments, they make a stronger point. I was never confused about what were her synthesized arguments and what were exposition on recent and modem history.
I don't always agree with her, but miss Maddow has written a book that is incredibly relevant and deeply compelling, and I honestly hope that some folks in Washington take major heed.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drift.